Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you followed the thread led by reddragon and I, i am expirementing over the next month to see if zoecon treated food will effect the piranhas growth rate. This is a very good study for me to conduct b/c i have red bellies from the size of 3" to *" so i will be able to see if the supplement aides in piranha growth!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Feeding 1 at midnight 3/24/05: I fed the piranhas 15 jumbo sized chiclid sticks dosed with 4 drops of zoecon. I put the sticks into a sandwich sized baggy and then put in the zoecon, and let the sticks absorb for 10 minutes. There was a film residue on the bag, so to ensure i didnt waste any zoecon, i sliced both sides of the baggy and dumped the sticks into the aquarium and rinsed the film into the aquarium.

·
Registered
450 Posts
this should be pinned so we can watch the progress

·
Registered
880 Posts
eL ChiNo LoCo said:
What zoecon?
[snapback]948398[/snapback]​
it is made by kent. it is a vitamin supplement. supposedlly it makes feeders grow fast but they are gunna see if it will make p's grow fast.

·
DOC#003162
15,011 Posts
i think you should wait till their six inches to start cause they grow fast as hell till approximatly six

iches anyway, so it may make you think that shits workin but its just their natural growth.

also are you goin to set up a control tank and feed the same food and water condtions as the other tank

but with out the supplement??

also i think you awt to use your blogg to keep things neat and organized for your journal cause this thread

will get packed with lots of post that i sure as hell not want to scroll through.

·
Registered
469 Posts
This is a great idea in the physical appearance aspect of a fish as in we all want to see quicker growth rate I would think...Many FH hobbyists have so many enhanced products out to speed up the growth rate on a fish it's scary
Within all this I dont think it is a good practice to apply and in the long run it could shave off years in a fishs' life...Just my 2 cents...Good luck though with this and who knows maybe this could be a healthy practice

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have 8 piranhas.... 1 small, medium, and large control, and 1 small, medium, and 3 large for the expirimental. These fish are all close to the same measurements in thier sizes due to the fact i have almost always got two at a time.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Feeding #2 3/25/05 at 6:00 P.M.:

15 chiclid sticks fed with the same technique as the first day. All gone as soon as they sank. BTW my other piranhas are eating the same amount just untreated.

Feeding #3 3/26/05 at 5:00 P.M.
15 chiclid sticks again. These boys love the sticks, unfortunately i will have to do a water change after tomorrows feeding, the minnows and guppies are not eating all the extra crumbs..

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah controls are in a seperate tank. in my other 55.

Feeding #4. 7 p.m. 3/28/05. The chiclid sticks were makin my tank gross, so i added carbon to the filter and gave it like a 20% water change. So today i am feeding them catfish pellets with the Zoecon. They ate it a lil quicker, but this is b/c there are less particles of food (only three chunks instead of 15 sticks.) no changes noticable yet besides good coloration from the chiclid sticks.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
feeding #5 3/29/05 at midnight. I fed the boys an ounce of a catfish nugget with the zoecon. They ate it up quick. So far no size difference, but the piranhas eating the zoecon are getting really dark. Normally my piranhas have poor color, but these bad boys are lookin black, even their fins instead of being red are black.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
filter setups are diff. but yes same water. The control tank pumps out 25 gph less than the zoecon tank, but that shouldnt make a difference. Feeding #6 3/30/05 another chunk of catfish nugget. Ate all the way up, my tank is finally clear from those damned chiclid sticks.... the only visable progress so far is the guppies that are too small for my p's to mess wiht. they are getting bigger. I wouldnt have noticed this except many of them are an inch long now.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I've been waiting to read of this experiment since reddragon brought it up about two weeks ago. Good Luck with everything, I'd think to get some myself but I already have space issues. I guess I could use it for the 10 gallon for guppies and ghost shrimp though. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dawgnutz said:
I've been waiting to read of this experiment since reddragon brought it up about two weeks ago. Good Luck with everything, I'd think to get some myself but I already have space issues. I guess I could use it for the 10 gallon for guppies and ghost shrimp though. Keep up the good work!

[snapback]955989[/snapback]​
Thanks. You are one of the only people who actually have said anything postive about the idea, rather than question the details of an exact expirement. Yes this does work on guppies, i have already seen a difference in them.

Feeding #6 3/30/05 Just another ounce of that catfish nugget. they love that. Its been treated with zoecon, and i think my p's are also attracted to the smell of that. There is no size diff yet. but only after almost a week.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i think its the same thing as flintstone vitamins and a multivitamin.. Not being smartass. I think its just like an extra supplement you can add.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts