Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing a little X-mas shopping last weekend at the mall. so while walking around a little bit i see
"The Pet Company" i go in take a look at the dogs they have a very small fish area (16-10gal tanks) so its not the first thing you see but i make my way back to the tanks....not in a rush b/c they never have Ps. but to my suprise thay had RBs.....5 of them about 2in each.....in the same tank.. F*@king dumb a$$ ...i ask the guy why they keep them all together even after they are all missing fins he tells me.... " well i think of it as survival of the fittest, thay just have to get along" i told him that there going to all die b4 he sells them if he doesnt move some out of there. mean as$ little ones too i put my finger on the tank and 3 of them were all over it. to top it off the oscar tank was was set at 86 and going up with 5-3inch tigers. after seeing that sh!t i walked out

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
yeah, LFS are all retards, and most independant shops like that one are horrible.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
its the best the guy can do, put it this way...if u owned a small shop like that, all the money you make is for yourself, savings, house payments ect...and the guy probably didnt know much about them...if he has such little space, known they can be together...then do it with what you have..ill guarentee you 98% of the fish shops in the world have fish bunched together IMO

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
Whats the problem? It's a pet store.
They are in the buisness of selling fish and moving them thru their stores. not providing a tank that is suitable for the life of the fish.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I can see why you would get upset, he probally should feed the rbp more, and turn the temp down in the oscars tank, that wouldnt cost him very much more money if any.
But out of all the things some lfs do, thats not to bad, if they were mean mofos i think you should have picked up those 3 yourself.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Whats the problem? It's a pet store.
They are in the buisness of selling fish and moving them thru their stores. not providing a tank that is suitable for the life of the fish.
Black hit this nail on the head, they are selling fish not providing tanks for life.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I agree but house them a little better that way they look good enough to sell.
you cant do that tho...might aswell put every other fish he has in a bigger tank to then to make them sell....its a waist..they dont care about the fish...its all about the money....my LFS had roughly 20 rbp's in like a 15g tank...they sold quick, same with the caribe he had in a tank...algae all around..they still selling pretty good too

·
Registered
775 Posts
Yeah all the fish here in the LFS are crowded in tanks. Where i got my newest rbps they had 20 rbs in 2 ten gallon tanks. Now, that's ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Well, guess LFS will never take their business seriously. At least the big ones don't.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
yeah whats the proublem? my lfs as some times 30-40 2-3" reds in one tank and its a 15 gal tops he never really loses eny before selllin them but like other ppl said you arnt going to buy these fish there own tan ks when some times there only in the store for a day

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the fish were niped all to hell...its bull sh!t they had the room they just didnt give a damn....the big seller in that store are dogs so they say to hell with everything else... the little mom and pop fish store here in town give better living to the fish... what really pisses me off if the big chain stores.... Pet Smart/ Pet co./ The Pet Company. they come in and put all the small LFS out and hire ppl cant tell me the difference between aquatic plants and a flower horn.

we tell ppl on this site everyday if you dont know how to care for something dont get it. i dont care if they just make money off the fish but learn a little bit B4 you try and sell them

one of the RBs had no top fin little tail no fin under the gills...one of the others was missing its left bottom lip...WTF

it just bugs the f*c! out of me

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
I dont see what the big deal is as well. It has nothing to do with caring about fish...Im sure they do care about them...but they are not in the business to house them forever...they are in the business to sell them. So it is a temporary home at best.

Do you think any store could actually stay in business if they housed every fish to the specifications of people who keep these fish?
Goldfish require more space then a piranha because of the waste they create...according to a goldfish site...but you dont see them being kept solo in a 55 gallon tank....and you also dont see people on this site bitching when they find 1000 crammed in a 55.

I just think people need to relax and accept the reality of the situation...if you want to have the flexibility to buy these fish in a LFS....and not have to pay to have them shipped to you....then you need to accept these stores for what they are...and not continually whine about it.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I don't disagree that this is sad but come on man, have you ever been to the humane society? Puppies that should be running around and having a great time are housed in kennels barely big enough to turn around in. Thank the man buying the piranhas and taking them home to a good tank, don't blame the guy selling them.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I don't disagree that this is sad but come on man, have you ever been to the humane society? Puppies that should be running around and having a great time are housed in kennels barely big enough to turn around in. Thank the man buying the piranhas and taking them home to a good tank, don't blame the guy selling them.
that comparison is totally off...couldnt even use dogs towards p's...use birds towards p's

·
Registered
775 Posts
Yeah, Petsmart and Petland are both mom and pop killers and they usually dont know how a goldfish is differnent from a cichlid. There are two great small LFS here that are helpful and take care of their fish and I usually shop at them. the prices are normally higher but I am willing to pay that for excellent customer service and all the help / advice they give me. Although Petland here seems to have the highest prices anyways. They buy dogs from breeders for a hundred bucks a piece or so and wait for kids to come in with parents and they spend like 13 or 14 hundred dollars on a puppy when you could get a registered AKC puppy from a breeder for two hundred... its ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
at one time i loved to bash a lps for the way they house them but if you think about what gg said its completly true and for another matter you could spend alot of time here and not know everything about piranhas now imagine having to do this about every animal they have that would satisfy every hobbyist that that just knows everything about 1 fish

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
if the store doesn't usually carry piranha, then all the sudden has 5 2inchers, they probably got turned in by someone for $2 a fish. Like the owner is gonna care if they die. We as piranha owners often think of them as more than fish, they are our pets. But you cant get mad at other people for not having the same feelings about piranha, they are still just fish wether we like it or not.

When I go fishing it usually ends up with a table full of bluegills(on a good day), them gasping for air as I cut there heads off and fillet them one at a time. I dont think about my piranha as the same animal I'm carving up for the little bit of meat each one has to offer, but other people do, they are just fish, it sux but its true.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
on a side note: I'm sure this thread didn't end up like the topic starter thought it would. Dont let it get you down man, its cool that you care about piranha that aren't even yours. I'm sure all of us would agree it sux how animals are treated in pet stores. Its not that anyone is happy about it, we just seem to understand why it is the way it is, and that there is nothing any of us can do about it, but take comfort in the fact that most of them dont stay there very long.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
it does suck to know that pets, fish or what not are mistreated like being housed in such a crappy envionment...if you had the 20g rule for all the p's...and what other fish, birds, cats, dogs, ferrets needed...you would need a HUGE shop....and you would lose money...sad to see tho

1 - 20 of 20 Posts