Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking at yorkshire's pictures of him handfeeding him rhom. love to try it with my rhom who is a lot less scary then his of course, but he truly doesn't give a sh*t when i have my hand in the tank and even lets me touch him. i know it's a completely stupid and reckless attitude to have, but i couldn't resist. as long as he gets to sit in his favorite spot he doesn't care if you touch him or work on his tank and what not. you physically have to move him with your hand or the python nozzle to vaccuum his corner spot if you want him to get out of the way. i often have to give him a shove with my hand so i can clean there. no kidding. it's the front corner of the tank that he can see the whole room from. he loves that spot and only moves to cruise and patrol and explore at night. i'm not touching him when he gets over 6 in though and i'm always wondering when he's going to whip around and show me how dumb i've been.
hopefully he won't. anyone else have a really mellow rhom or serra like that?

· Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i know it harley, i'm not massaging him or petting him or holding him or anything and it only happens during serious vaccuum sessions so not too often. i'm not exaggerating. you literally have to move him or he'll expect you to clean around him. any other spot in the tank and he runs away like a bitch, but that is HIS spot and he's really serious about only moving when made too. i try and use the back of my hand gently to move him when necessary. aren't the oils and such harmful to fish more on your fingers and palms though? i didn't think i'd harm him. hands are always spankin' clean before they go in the tank too. good point though. hope it doesn't mess his slime or skin up.

· Registered
471 Posts
my rhom is stubborn like that when hes in his corner, he doesnt bother me with my hand in there at all, and i touched him once, but accidentally. i have to push him out of his corner with the handle of my algea scraper most of the time. (dont want to push him around with my hand)

· Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if i ever get bitten that'll be how it happens.
one day he'll probably decide he's not leaving his spot or get territorial about his spot and then i'm screwed. i don't take his mellowness for granted though. i watch him like a hawk. even at 5.5" he's got teeth like a velociraptor.

· Oh, SNAP!
3,669 Posts
I sort of scare them away with the python although sometimes they don't move at all, I wouldn't dare touching them with my hand, I know they'd probably swim away scared BUT if one does decide to take a bite it will probably hurt llike a motherf***er. (I have 6 caribes, between 5-7")

· Registered
18,153 Posts
JAC said:
I sort of scare them away with the python although sometimes they don't move at all, I wouldn't dare touching them with my hand, I know they'd probably swim away scared BUT if one does decide to take a bite it will probably hurt llike a motherf***er. (I have 6 caribes, between 5-7")
[snapback]833067[/snapback]​
Same here - usually my piranha's (both reds and manny) take refuge in a corner when I'm doing maintenance, but sometimes one of them decides to be a stubborn ass, so I have to remind him to sod off - but I never have, never will use my hands to do that: instead, I use the water hose I use for doing water chances.
My fingers are way to precious too lose, and trust me, a 6" piranha is very well capable of removing half a finger.

It's Russian Roulette for sure, and bound to go wrong sooner rather than later - definitely not my thing.

· my sister is #1 best prostitute
10,237 Posts
my reds didnt really have a spot that they would stay in but i could use my hand to push them out of the way when necessary...

im not putting my hand any where near my rhom.. he has kind of established a corner in the tank but he gets very hyper when anything hits the surface, he attacked my algea brush/scraper and it was lightening fast. i was cleaning right near his spot and used the scraper to gentley nudge him outo of the corner, at first he seemed ok with it then he very very quickly spun around and striked at the scraper two or three times.. when i say very very fast i mean like super fast. that could have been a few missing fingers as far as im concerned..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.