Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all

I've been keeping fish since I was a little guy. By the time I was in first grade it was two 10 gallon community tanks plus a goldfish bowl. By 5th grade I was into predators and my only goldfish were feeders. 7th grade my first RBP. By high school I was getting rid of the big bed in my room and moving to a twin for more tank space. So that means somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 years of keeping fish.

Back then not much was known about RBP's, and they were far and away the most popular. The only other P's I ever saw at pet shops back then were wimples and the rare black piranha that always came in looking beat up and selling for major bucks.

How bad do I have the bug? There are probably some here that are worse than me but lemme put it this way. I met my wife at the LFS.
We both worked there. Between the two of us our home ended up looking like Ace Ventura's place, except that all the critters were cold blooded (minus our english bulldog and our mutt). Now she's much more into feeders... err.. I mean exotic goldfish. I'm more into oddballs & predators.

I moved from the Philadelphia area to Raleigh-Durham around 97 and took down all but a couple of marine tanks. There were no good fish stores down that way so I pretty much put all my time into herps.

Well now I'm back in Philly, got back to the old pet shop and saw three different species of piranha and my juices are starting to flow again. Mwahahahahaha.

I'm into all kinds of oddball fishes. Puffers, piranhas, seahorses, cichlids, anything unusual I see at the pet shop. A fishes unique adaptations are far more interesting to me than its colors. And there is no denying the appeal of piranhas in that regard.

When I get my fishroom back up (and there is LOTS of space to grow into... some 1200sf right on a concrete slab with plenty of electricity available, high cielings, plumbing... what more could a fish nut want?) I wanna try my hand at breeding RBP's, which was unheard of in the hobby when I used to keep them (though some public aquariums had certainly managed it). I also wouldn't mind trying some of the other species that weren't really available before. I'm thinking a big concrete tank full of caribes maybe.

This is probably a good forum to ask because I've never met anyone else into them, but they have a lot of the appeal of piranhas without the size... but is anyone else here in love with Exodon paradoxus (the "buck toothed tetra")?

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
Thanks for the good intro.....you are at the right place to learn about p's....

Hang out in the hobbyist forums for adivce/experiences from fellow hobbyists....head over to the science forums for a little more hardcore discussion. The factsheets (accessable via the nav bar on the top) will tell you about some of the species of piranha. Enjoy and welcome.

-Xenon
admin

·
Sex Kitten Lover
358 Posts
anyone else here in love with Exodon paradoxus (the "buck toothed tetra")?
I
my 3 exos almost as much as I
my piranha.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,504 Posts
Welcome to the board also!!!

One of my old time fav fish to co-exist with Ps are Exodons!! One time I had 10 Exo's with my RBs. Sold them all, and had 2 eatten by my Rhom. Exos are a badass!!!!
...until they get eatten by your Ps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.