Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
^word
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yo i was wondering where ya go to git a site started?

·
^word
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
id like to hear from judazz,and see what he has to say seeing how he has a site and all

·
Registered
910 Posts
Tibs said:
id like to hear from judazz,and see what he has to say seeing how he has a site and all
[snapback]897177[/snapback]​
Lots of people have websites... Including myself.

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO KNOW... Geeze...

Pac

·
^word
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what i was wanting to know is how you would start it, any help would be appreatiated, i juss put down judazz cuz i personally knew he had a website and i would like to make one like his and i didnt know how, therefore i asked

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Well, I basically just started one day because I wanted to put what I learned at school in practice (I did a follow-up course webdesign after I got my degree). My piranha tank was the most obvious choice, as I was basically obsessed with it...
The first version sucked big time, and was technically very simple (just plain old html). But along the road, and in combination with my job (webmaster) which learned me TONS of useful things, I got acquainted with new techniques (like php), and gradually, over the last 2,5 years, the site became what it is now.

How to start? At first you should work out the structure (what pages, what kind of navigation, etc.) The next thing is to design a lay-out (either just start coding/designing and see where you'll end, or design an entire page in Photoshop or similar).

Of course the very first thing is to get the right tools: MS Paint and Notepad are enough, but you'll work most efficiently with a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You get)- and/or html-editor (Frontpage, Dreamweaver, Homesite, Coffecup) and a professional image editing program (Photoshop, Fireworks, Paintshop).
Also, knowledge of html is (imo.) required - designing a site graphically (ie. using a WYSIWYG-editor) is convenient, but the output source code is extremely messy and hard to edit afterwards. And if you want an interactive/dynamic site, or a database-driven site, you'll have to learn at least one of the server-side scripting languages (php, asp, jsp, cfm/coldfusion) and SQL.

The problem with explaining is that everyone has his/her own preferences and methods - what I find convenient might be awkward to others.
So the best you can do is to read up (if necessary: there are plenty of very informative and useful website and forums about webdesign: one of the best imo. is www.w3schools.com, with tutorials for just about any aspect of the internet), get the right tools, and then just start (with or without a certain lay-out in mind). Along the way, you'll learn new things, get new ideas etc.

Good luck...

·
Peace....Through Superior Firepower
13,643 Posts
Filo said:
^^ that would make too much sense.
[snapback]897214[/snapback]​
Like you ever make sense Filo

·
Registered
375 Posts
Tibs said:
yo i was wondering where ya go to git a site started?
[snapback]897146[/snapback]​
I use Netscape Composer for my WYSIWYG editor, but I trim the code using Notepad or Wordpad. I basically taught myself with a Dummies book and by viewing the code from websites I liked. In your browser toolbar choose View/Source and you'll see what I mean. I keep the website for Plainfield Area Humane Society and it's basically simple HTML, I like using tables.

I also use Photoshop for images. That was free from work. Most new computers today com with rudimentary image editing. Netscape is free. This can be real inexpensive.

You'll need someone to host your site, most internet service providers supply you with 5 Mb or more of server space, and you'll need uploading software if that's not available through your provider. I use FTP Commander, it's freeware.

·
tap or snap
11,899 Posts
Xenon said:
I have a website.
[snapback]897283[/snapback]​
is this another one of your lies?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts