Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55g tank with a wet dry filter. I have three 2 inch rbp's in there. I have been getting high ammonia levels of like four for five or six days. I just did two twenty percent water changes in two days and nothing has changed. I just set up this tank about a month ago, the fish have been in there almost as long. I have been doing twenty percent water changes every saturday. I just noticed that one p is having gill problems. It looks like his gills are curling out and protruding. I see what looks like a white almost clear thumbnail looking thing that sticks out of his gills, maybe slime or enlarged gill? I don't know what I'm doing, so I bought some antibacteria for gill disease and parasitic treatment for gill parasites. I administered the first dose today. Sometimes my p's will go "nuts" and just bash themselves into the gravel and stuff. I also just installed my wet'dry sump and the flow is at the top. I also dumped some biospira in there. I also put stress coat and ammo lock in there. I put in some huge feeders that are a little bigger than the p's and they just nibble on the tails. What else should I do? Thanx

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I think your first bid would to have been to introduce your P's after this spike occured and not right away... what to know though... Go to your local LFS and get some new media filter for you tank, try using amonia blocks ... hope things work out

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,146 Posts
if your adding biospira and doing water changes every week.your not letting it seed properly.another thing can you please darken your post color its too light to read .thanks

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
what are your other readings for nitrite and nitrate?

try useing some ammo lock, it reduces the toxicity of ammonia.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I think ammonia lock is a waste of time IMO, Ammonia lock is a waste of money to .He should have let his tank cycle, You are going to have to let the tank cycle with them in it, Do you have test kits for ammonia and niterates? Do some water changes every 2-3 days days like 25%-50% until your tank is cycled, That will help the ammonia to not be so bad, This will interupe the cycle process a little bit. Thats the only way you are going to fix the problem. I did the same thing when I started out in this hobby and my fish made it through the cycle. When the ammonia goes down the nitrites will up and then the nitrates are going to up. You are just going to have to wait it out and hope everything goes well. It really sucks I no

Im guessing you dont have a cycled tank?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just found out that the stuff I used for treatment isn't safe with non-scaled fish. My p's are really suffering. I just did a 90 percent water change and am setting up my old penguin 330, not my wet/dry due to the foam that generates in the sump. Well, after ninety percent water change, ammonia in down. My p's are just laying on the bottom and don't even move when the gravel sucker comes near them. I am going to leave the light off and we'll see what happens. I am almost tempted to euthanize them and start all over. If I do start all over, then I will definately let the tank run without fish for about two months. thanx guys

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
readingbabelfish said:
. I just did a 90 percent water change and am setting up my old penguin 330,
man, never exceed a 50% water change at the max. the results can be devistating ....
... Now heres another problem to the list....

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
JEARBEAR said:
He should have let his tank cycle, You are going to have to let the tank cycle with them in it, Do you have test kits for ammonia and niterates?
Yes he should have... and that is where the problem starts, may I suggest you take these P's back to the source you have purchesed them and aske them to hold them for you until you establish a tank that is ready to go

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dude, the only place these p's are going is to the aquarium in the sky. If they don't survive, then I will start all over. How do you know when the tank has cycled, and how often does it cycle?

·
Registered
492 Posts
JEARBEAR said:
I think ammonia lock is a waste of time IMO, Ammonia lock is a waste of money to .He should have let his tank cycle, You are going to have to let the tank cycle with them in it, Do you have test kits for ammonia and niterates? Do some water changes every 2-3 days days like 25%-50% until your tank is cycled, That will help the ammonia to not be so bad, This will interupe the cycle process a little bit. Thats the only way you are going to fix the problem. I did the same thing when I started out in this hobby and my fish made it through the cycle. When the ammonia goes down the nitrites will up and then the nitrates are going to up. You are just going to have to wait it out and hope everything goes well. It really sucks I no

Im guessing you dont have a cycled tank?
It only cycles once, just follow the steps and after the tank is cycled that means one day the ammonia is high and nitrates, Nitrites are high and then the next they are not, But after the tank is cycled Do water changes once a week or everyother week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts