Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i just got my new 55 gallon... but it doesnt have anything in it right now other than some gravel. i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as to how to decorate it nicely for my new p's? im not even sure what kind im gonna get. i was thinking 1 cariba 1 tern and 1 rb would be cool. but if any of you experienced piranha owners have any suggestions it would be awesome. im heading down to lincoln city oregon in about a week to get the fish so if you know of any good fish stores around there then i would be most grateful.
rock on guys

·
Registered
873 Posts
you should stock your tank with pygos from sharkaquarium, fishpost, aquascape, etc. but with a 55 your gonna be limited to reds due to the small (12") width. mabye a nice 8" rhom would be a better choice . . . they eventually get over 14", but at that size they only grow about an inch a year.

black gravel usually brings out the best color in any piranha species, so go with either that or a more natural color. drift wood, or any other type of visual barrier is a good idea with pygos. also use a background, or line up plants along the back of the tank so they can feel more secure in their surroundings.

hope this helps.

~Will.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can i legally have the fish shipped to an illegal state if i order online? also i dont think ordering online is really an option for me :sad: hence im just gonna shop around the LFS's near lincoln city

·
Registered
873 Posts
oh, I diddnt realize oregon was an illegal state. I doubt online suppliers will ship to you, but private sellers might if you keep it on the down low. a LFS is gonna jack up the price 3 times what they pay, so just jeep that in mind when trying to get decent sized pygos. if you have any family, or a friend that lives in a legal (preferably near-by) state, you could have them shipped there, and drive them home.

if your gonna get red bellys, tank raised ones tend to be way less aggressive than wild ones. the only place to get wild ones for sure (unless you got an awesome LFS) is through the above community sponsors.

~Will.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.