Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys check out this 'Profile' of Serrasalmus Rhombeus at aquariacentral.com:

Serrasalmus rhombeus
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other names:...........Spotted Piranha
Origin:......................Guyana, Amazon basin
Max size:..................15"
PH:............-..............5.8-7.0
Temperature:...........73-79 F.
Min tank size:..........75 gallons
Food:.........................Meat, live foods

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The White, or Spotted Piranha is one of the biggest of the Piranhas. They are aggressive and, although they are said to not attack man, they should be treated with care and respect. The body is elongated in relation to other Piranhas. Black spots cover the body but fade with age, as the fins darken. Serrasalmus rhombeus is often confused with the Black Piranha, Serrasalmus niger.

Provide these predators with plenty of hiding places made from driftwood and plants. They are shy fish and take fright easy if the proper conditions aren't provided. Light levels should be subdued by the addition of floating plants. White Piranhas are best suited to a large species tank in schools of five or more. If one becomes sick or weak, the other members of the pack will often attack it. Water should be soft and acidic, and a strong filter is required for the amount of waste these fish will produce.

Piranhas are voracious predators that need a constant supply of live foods. Once acclimated, they will accept meat such as beef heart, but rarely pellets. Breeding in captivity is very rare. They breed similar to other Piranha species, where the fry hatch in two days and become free-swimming a week later. Males have a more strait anal fin

Please note the middle paragraph.......... Your comments please

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
this is the type of info that keeps boards like this as the top places for info on the net to basically get rid of all this rubbish info being provided elswhere and put everybody right.
dixon

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Guess not.

~Dj

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
hehehehehehehehe...!

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
I actually gave up on those other pages. Alot need to do some updating and SHOULD come here for our advice and expertise to update info on their sites.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
RhomZilla Posted on Jun 17 2003, 06:26 PM
I actually gave up on those other pages. Alot need to do some updating and SHOULD come here for our advice and expertise to update info on their sites.
I attempted to help them a few years ago with updated information but they chose to stay within the realm of their message board writer, contributor of photographs and piranha expert.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree!!! I LOVE THIS SITE ; it has become a quiet addiction for me, true 'experienced' knowledge and advice freely available from hard-core keepers of piranha (u know who u are)
to simple questions and answers from newbies just like me. Just a little thankyou and I appreciate all inputs

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
Nice White piranha Skellon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.