Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new and let me introduce myself. I got 2 3-4'' RB's. I am thinking about trading them in for a 1-2'' Black Rhom. I want something much more aggressive. I feed my RB's only feeders and I have to turn all the lights out in order for them to eat in front of me. I want something that will eat whatever moves basically. I have a few questions.

Is it worth getting one small Rhom over these two slightly matured Red bellies?

Are Rhoms that much more aggressive?

At this size is this Rhom agressive enough to take down a Mino?

Its a Black Piranha/Rhom from what the website tells me, can anyone show me a picture of this species at few different sizes?

Anyone know a website I can order this species from to an illegal state? Or anyone know where to get one near Westchester, NY?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I would keep your reds. Rhoms grow very slow I mean slow. In a 2 years your reds will be close to 10in and the rhom will be like 3-4in. Rhoms at that size are skittish. You can drive to sharkaquarium he is in NJ. Check his website @ Sharkaquarium.com

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I'd make that trade in a second.

2 red-bellies just aren't much fun, get another 1 or 2 or even better add a cariba to them.

what size tank do you have?

also, don't ask about getting piranhas shipped to an illegal state, it's frowned upon a little bit. Look in the buy/sell forum for nearby sellers. NJ is a good place to look, Shark Aquarium and Aquascape

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
bad deal, a 2" rhom is worth only $15 bucks. rhoms arn't that agressive either, you may be let down.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
nitrofish said:
bad deal, a 2" rhom is worth only $15 bucks. rhoms arn't that agressive either, you may be let down.
depends on what type of rhom it is

either way it's get more natts or trade them for a cool serra

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
i agree, add more pygos cuz 2, well thats not a good number
as for the rhom, even though so many ppl say they r sooo aggressive u might still end up with a skittish one...especially at the 1-2inch mark
so u might end up VERY dissapointed..

one more thing was it easy to get the reds in yur state??

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No it wasn't easy. I just knew the right people. I can get a bigger Black Piranha here- like 4 inch...but I like them when they're small. I'd rather watch something grow than just have a huge fish to begin with. Just MHO.

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
I would get the rhom. Rhom can and can not be agressive. As all fish can vary personality. Piranhas are not the fish to go with you wan a fish to attack your fingers. Get a cichlid if you want that.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
i would go with a rhom...it cant be any more skittish than the 2 red bellies. also, i believe that u can raise piranha to me less skitish. all depending on where the tank is located and what the piranha is use to. starting out with a small speciman is a plus in raising an aggressive fish.

get a rhom...it may not swim around the tank biting plants in half and attacking the glass, but it will be aggressive towards other fish in the tank.

here's a pic of mine...he's 6 inches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts