Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know there are a lot of threads on this, but since the pics are down i am unsure what i have. i guessed flat worms, but these are tiny and look round, the longest ones in my tank are about a centimeter. i just added sand and noticed them swimming around. i took out about 12. each one of them was swimming for the surface when i got them. they swim like one of those old high school sex-ed tapes (sperm)... doh!

what do i have and will it hurt my piranha?

how do i get rid of them?

thanks...

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
you can do massive gravel or sand vaccum and 50% water change a week and add some salt to it...do that it should be ok it work for me...also rais your temp up...but keep your eyes out for your p for aggression..IMO

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
Yeah, what 2P said

If it were me, I'd do 50% water changes twice per day for a couple/few days, vacuuming the gravel completely.

Raising the temp is also good... most of these parasites can't handle the high temp.
Piranhas can.

In the wild, piranhas get trapped in pools where the temperature soars.
(I'd raise the temp to say 85.)

If you fight the fight, you will win.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Those worms are always there, but an abundance of them means that there is excess food for them to eat.
They don't harm your fish. It's more of a maintenance issue. Clean the gravel, look for uneaten food, and they also live on waste build-up on your filter media.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
i know there are a lot of threads on this, but since the pics are down i am unsure what i have. i guessed flat worms, but these are tiny and look round, the longest ones in my tank are about a centimeter. i just added sand and noticed them swimming around. i took out about 12. each one of them was swimming for the surface when i got them. they swim like one of those old high school sex-ed tapes (sperm)... doh!
what do i have and will it hurt my piranha?
how do i get rid of them?
Those worms are Planaria, they are harmless. Actually they are feeding on the leftovers and bacteria that has grown in there.
These are always present to some extent, but to reduce the amount drastically, you need to keep the tank cleaner. Do not feed so much at one time and maybe not so often.

Harry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts