Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can i add a 3 inch wolffish to my 5 4inch reds? I heard it can be done since they have tough scales and are pretty aggressive. Also, what is the growth rate of common wolffish?

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
I would not put the Hoplias in with piranas. They are natural enemies and you will be minus one wolf fish if it is small enough for the piranas to attack and eat.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Can someone post a pix of a "WolfFish"?? I dont think I've ever seen one before... Tenx!!!

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Feederfish33 you really do amuse me, always wanting to add preditory fish to yout piranha tank

How is that red tailed cat doing? :biggrin:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh, you guys were right about the red tail. He got chomped up pretty good, but I have him at my lfs (not for sale of course) and hes fully healed. He's great. He is about 6 or 7 inches now and loves feeders. Thats what they feed him, but whenever I'm there I flip him some nutritious shrimp pellets or flakes. Here is why I think a wolffish might work better:

1. It has the same coloration as my pleco, which they dont bother at all.
2. Wolffish are nocturnal, and will do the most moving around while my ps are napping.
3. They don't move much, so the ps wont bother him much. Although a lot of people at pfish complain about their wolffish doing this, it's going be perfect for my feisty five.
4.Lots of decor. The bottom is covered with slated rocks and amazon swords, and a big cave for him to hide in. Also a bunch of tall plants covering the heater and filter tube. This way he will be able to hide out until night.
5. Tough scales. The ps wont be able to do as much damage to him because his scales are rough like a gator.
6. Wolffish are aggressive. They have teeth, big teeth. So if a p ever tried to mess with one, I dont think the p will ever do it again.

Let me know what you think. The only reason I considered it was because in a previous post here at pfury, someone said that their 7 inch wolffish was getting along great with his ps.

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
wolffish yea are nocturnal but also Ps like hunting in the dark. P's can also see very good in the dark too. face it. if you want other fish in your P thank it has to have enough room or small enough fish so the P doesnt care such as tetras and dinos and neon. after all these all are preditory fish so of course they all want to be the alpha fish. and the scales dont really matter since you have a couple of P's. the ratio is nt good. in the long run they will pick off all the scales and goto the flesh.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think that the wolf would be able to defend itself against a piranha. And yes the ps do like to hunt in the dark, but I have noticed if I leave the lights of for about 15 minutes anytime after like 7 pm, when I turn them back on my ps are laying on the bottom. I think it should work. If not, I will know for next time.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
do you really want your fish living stressed lives?
if they don't kill each other they will be very stressed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have 9- 5"-7" rbps and 1- 7" wolf fish. They've been co-existing in the same tank for about 8 months. The reds will occasionally go after the wolf fish but, the wolf would always fight back. The most that happens is the wolf gets a bit of his tail fin bitten off. It usually grows back in no time. As far I'm concerned as long as the piranhas are not too small they should be OK. The wolffish does have a tough outershell which keeps the reds from trying to eat him. Again this is just my experience and as far as I could tell it should work out.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
DaMN IT!!! I still havent seen what a WolfFish looks like. Someone show a pix!! Maybe Ill want to get one..

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
I wouldnt mix them simply because it seems like your just asking for trouble. I think one of them will get smoked eventually.

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
al there is a 7" wolf fish at atlantis aquarium. very active but ugleee looking. looks like my sh haha. they have sme af tigerfish too. so head on to fremont if you want to see it. haha

·
Registered
26 Posts
heres a pic of my old wolf.i had him with my ps and he lived.but not happy. he never had a tail and we all know piranha dont fight fair

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.