Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a lrg wolf fish at my lfs for 38 cdn, its 8-9 inches,did i get a good deal? i was researching about them on the net and thought they would be a cool fish to keep, i wanted to find a baby wolf but they just had lrg ones, he's my firsh wolf, and he scares me already, im afraid he'll take off my fingers doing a water change, its bad ass, if anyone has any experence on keeping this fish id appriecate it, thanks

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Firstly Welcome to PFury

to get a bigger welcome may I suggest you announce your presance in the lounge

now to fish.....
I have never even seen a wolf fish, but I will add some handy links later for you.

also if you can find him - wich I doubt - Adrien (aka wolfman) who used to run AT has or had a wolf fish so he might be able to help - but again finding him may be a problem

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your help, this is my first tank, so for so good, im going to try to borrow my friends digital cam, and ill post the pics, its one mean looking fishl

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
welcome to pfury well ive never kept one but ive read alittle form what ive read theyre mostly nocturnal have tough skin/scales whatever and arent that active and stay on the bottom of the tank but individual fish have different personalities give us updates have fun but the teeth on them are sick!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the wolf fish is fresh water, and the scientific name is hoplias malabaricus, i just saw him eat a lrg feeder couple hrs ago, it was pretty amazing, ive seen coolD's redbellies eat, but this fish is vicious, it is nocturnal swims around quite a bit when the tanks lights. he stiill probaly getting used to the tank, he doesnt like to be watched, he does hide alot, but swims around if your being still, and not to close, so far its a cool fish, i think there pretty hardy too, not too fussy about water conditions

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have owned a couple wolfish in the past great fish but like was said earlier watch the lid on your tank,they love to jump.Mine ate about everything that hit the water and tankmates were two large Snakeheads.I have heard these fish are breeding in the state of Florida in the canal system but could just be rumors.Great addition to your tank and congrats

·
Registered
500 Posts
CoolD said:
do wolf fish breed in captivity?
how big of tank would u need, and are you able to keep 2 wolffish together?
Do not know abou breeding them but I have been able to keep two wolffish together before for quite some time.Keeping two was more fun also because they would eat alot better cause they were competing for food.

·
Registered
614 Posts
CoolD said:
do wolf fish breed in captivity?
how big of tank would u need, and are you able to keep 2 wolffish together?
yes
I bred them in a 24in by 24in by 20in tall tank before but never again the male killed the female but I have learn my lesson over the years so I breed them in a 100 gal
My new prog. is to breed the goliath wolf in a 500 gallon tank :laugh:

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Phtstrat said:
Wow they look like awesome fish, the teeth are sweet. Any minimum recommended tank size for one?
75g is a good size. They get about 18" and like a dimly lit tank, mine was very active ndeed beciuas ei put lots of floating plants in nd he would sit under them. Whole muscles are a good food, i tried lancefish but he ignored them. Its fun feeding live fish (really cool to watch it stalk up then just teleport) but its not a good diet. I kept mine with tankmates but it wouldn't work permenanly. As long as they are 2-3 tiomes as big they might survive a few months.
They can live in almost any water, but try and keep it clean anyway. They can breathe air using their swimbladder (i think) and are similar to snakehead in that respect, so a tight fitting lid is reccommended.

Good luck with him

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.