Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Is lies, these mercenary invaders lie. Iraq has none of these weapons, either they are lying or they put them there to justify the occupation.

I love that guy (Information Minister), I'd lay good money he'll say something along those lines about it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Didn't this happen like 3 times before where everyone jumped the gun and said OMG we found weapons!! then it turned out not to be. Not saying it isn't true just be careful what you read.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
I guess the CIA was right and wasn't using that for an aliby to go to war..

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Yeah, that dude's a real-life Iraqi Seinfeld....

He's still denying that Coalition troops have entered Bagdad, although snipers probably have their crosshair pointed at his forehead as we speak.

Didn't this happen like 3 times before where everyone jumped the gun and said OMG we found weapons!! then it turned out not to be. Not saying it isn't true just be careful what you read.
I agree. I have heard similar stories as well: drums filled with VX, traces of cyanide and mustard gas in the Tigris river, stories about an Al Qaeda camp with chemical and biological labs near the Iranian border...
But no definite proof as of yet.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Nobody's said anything one way or the other (aside from journalists) even Rumsfield is down-playing it. Just read somwhere that it is actually pesticides. Guess that kind of proves you can't really tell until they do proper checks. I would not be surprised with either outcome. Think about it, UN inspectors had fairly unfettered access for years and fond nothing. Someone defects and a huge cache is discovered, so the odds are against watzing into a building and finding stores of weapons. Unless of course they were in preparation to be used against the coalition forces. I'd really appreciate it if the media would quit harping on "where's the WMD?" as if something like that's going to be sitting under a big neon sign for all to see. Sometimes I get the feeling they have unrealistic expectation instead of using some common sense and looking back on the history of how Iraq operates.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Agree with that: it's almost like they're waiting for it to appear, just to jump on it like a fly on shiz (or maybe some even secretly hope it's going to be used: it almost seems some journalists seem sick and sensationalistic enough for it...
)

But how hard is it to hide certain quantities of chemicals or bio-agents (just burry it somewhere deep in the sand, and no one will ever find it, or perhaps many years later), or break up a lab in such a way that it appears it had been used for civil purposes?
If the Iraqi's do their homework 'properly', and refrain from using it as a weapon, it might never show up, and we might never know what truely happened in Iraq in those last, 'black' years (ie. no UN inspectors)...

·
Registered
321 Posts
I heard on the news that what they found were chemicals containing organic sulfur compounds. Sulfur compounds are widely used as crude pesticides. However at the beginning stages, the precursors for pesticides are the same as for chemical weapons. It is not difficult if you are making pesticides to switch over aqnd make chemical warfare agents. I would bet that this is what Iraq was doing and is what we found.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Some agents when field tested show up as pesticides, so the mixed readings aren't indicative of positive or negative. So I think you're partially correct Cfr, another thing they may do is manufacture both in the same location, so when an inspection is going to happen they simply remove the agents and voila, it's a pesticide plant.

Iraq is a large country (app. the size of California I believe) and has a lot of desert. We know they've buried agents that were not found by inspection (HUMINT by defectors), it's not a stretch to imagine there's more out there somewhere. The Brits are entirely correct when they say we may never find them, because the Iraqis know they have no chance in hell of winning and using WMD would make their downfall that much worse so one possibility is they have it all hidden, or at least as much as one can hide in 12 years. Though the flip side of that is they know it's a losing battle, so why not fire a few artillery rounds and some missiles laden with chem/bio agents? They have nothing to lose by doing so, just their lives that are already forefit.

Personally both scenarios are equally possible in my mind, the former is more attractive because nobody gets hurt, though the latter will finally give unquestionable proof. Well, not according to the Info. Minister, he'd say it was the Americans who fired them on themselves.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think if we fail to find WMD, the legitimacy of this war will be questionable for years to come. I am just saying that the administration wagered a lot that they would go in there "and get the WMD away from Iraq and the terrorists they could sell it to". I know they have backpeddaled since then and said it was for liberation, etc, etc.....but when it boils down to it, the world controversy was over WMD and how the inspectors didnt find it, and we went to war to find it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.