Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Sex Kitten Lover
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At a LFS today, just walking around, see a tank full of Bucktooth Tetras(Exodons), on the tank in big marker it said, "Extremely Aggresive" I have read about exodons on Pfish, with people having some success with them coexisting with their piranhas. But I wasn't sure about the whole idea, then I started bullshitting with the one employee, and he went and got some guppies and threw them in the tank. Now I have only seen my P eat in real life, these exodons destroyed the couple guppies he threw in there, it was the coolest thing ive seen in person. So I got two of them, they are a little smaller than flipper, they are still in the bag floating right now, Im gonna unleash them now and see what happens. Anyone else here have any luck w/ keeping these guys w/ your P's? I will try to snap some pics in case someone has never seen one before. By the way, I threw the pink convict back in the 10 gallon, she's beat up pretty bad, but I added some salt so I hope she recovers nicely.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I think you will end up with loads of fish, and nowhere to put them
or just a couple of fat piranhas and 1 fat cichlid, no tetras or livebearers

But good luck!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Good luck with the convict and i Hope the exodeans work out for you, if not they could go in the 10G they do not get that big 3, or 4" at very max

·
Sex Kitten Lover
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Innes,
I think I need to start leaving my wallet at home when I go out to "look" around :smile:

Thanks SnowCichlid, its been about 15 minutes since I have unleashed them, they kick ASS, have added alot of movement to the tank :smile:
The one giant danio that has been in there for like a month, tried to schoal with the 2 of them, that was a mistake, they have been nipping at him and I think his days are numbered. If flipper starts to beat on them 2 much, they are going to go in the 10 G, F the guppies and mollies, Here's a pic of the one, it was tough getting a good one, they are active/fast lil bastards.

http://pictures.care2.com/view/2/893328593

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Looks like your the same compulsive buyer as I am, lol

Every time I go the the lfs, I come home with at least two bags with fish: one feeder bag, and one filled with fish I just had to buy...

Today, I bought 8 tetra's (3 species) and a Dwarf sucker (Oto), to keep my reds company. And tomorrow it's feeder day for my boyz: I'm wondering what else I'll bring home :
:

By the way: keep a close eye on Flipper and his new "buddies": I've heard more than one story about exo's ripping piranha fins to shreds or even killing piranha's...
Good luck (you might need it).

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Yepps.. check the my signature!!! Buck Tooths are aggressive 'lil bastards. Best tankmates with P's in my opinion. As long as you keep both your P's and Exos well fed, the P's wont try and eat the Exos, and the Exo's wont try to "hit & run" for the P's scales. Its also interesting to see these guys work together when feeding. The Exo's would weaken the feeders after so many attacks for their scales, the P's would have an easier time catching slower feeders, and when Ps take bites off feeders, you'll see the Exo's swimming around collecting the scales from the attack. They're a real JOY!!!

Plus where did yo get 'em? They're really limited here in cali (dont know if they illigalized it), but bought mines at a LFS. And how much did you get 'em? Im looking to get more.

·
Sex Kitten Lover
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply RhomZilla,
Unfortunately, I live in PA, the store is in lancaster PA, here is their site
http://www.thatpetplace.com/choicef.html

Anyone in the Harrisburg, York, Lancaster or surrounding area should check it out for sure

they were $3.99.

will they eat the same things I feed my P? shrimp, krill, frozen fish from the supermarket, earthworms, etc....? thanks

·
18,487 Posts
Thanks for the info!!

Yeah, they basically eat whatever your P's can. Krill, shrimp, beeheart, guppies ect.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
keep us updated on them..i been very interested in obtain some too from my lfs..but not sure..

·
18,487 Posts
thePACK said:
keep us updated on them..i been very interested in obtain some too from my lfs..but not sure..
Get some Pack, they got some left at a LFS in the eastbay, $4.99. They have 'em in a tank with baby spilos.

Just finished watching my Rbs and Exos eat again. Reminds me of Lions and Hyenas over food. I have a huge driftwood that the Exos chase the feeders out from towards the RBS. Soon as the feeders scatter, the RBs start their chase. Once my RBs start their frenzy, you see the Exos having a little frenzy of their own w/ the RBs. Tought 'lil bastards! *What other fish would ever have a feeding frenzy with Piranhas and not give a sh*t on how close they are from them????" Wish I had a digi cam, but thats the closest description I can go by.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
alright rhom, you talked me into it..see i am such a compulsive fish buyer..shhhhh just tell my wife.. hehe....tommorrow i have to go to the buy feeder..will pick some up..and by chance what eastbay store are you talking about..i like going to different stores? thanks..

·
Sex Kitten Lover
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds fun to watch RhomZilla.
So far, so good with mine, although its only been 10 hours or so. One does has some minor fin nippage on his tail, I plan on keeping them well fed, thats all I can really do I guess, I know my P is too small to outright kill them, so if anything, they will be tail-less, I am really not worried about them hurting flipper, I saw one little tussle that happened, and he more than held his own. I really wish I had the money and space, I would set up a tank just for them and buy like 5 more, someday that will happen

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
My 2 inch rhom would kill them in a sec, guess it depends on the size of the tank you want them in.

·
18,487 Posts
thePACK said:
by chance how long have you had your exodon and p's together rhomzilla?
I've had Exodons and Ps before, 3 yrs ago (actually started with Cichlids and Exos back in HS, 9 yrs ago).. got out of the hobby and got back in last yr. I started out with 10 Exos in a 50 gal with juvenile RBs. But the bigger the Rbs got, the less space, and ended up with 5. But now I've housed them in a 125.. same RBs with 8 Exos. The RBs try and nip at them, but the Exos are too swift and have more room now to swim.
Ill' PM you about the LFS in the EastBay. Actually going there after work today.

West.. honestly, I wouldn't advise Exo in your Rhom tank.

·
Sex Kitten Lover
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thought I would give an update on these exos since I just fed them

My spilo doesn't seem to mess with them, nor them with him. I haven't been able to get them to eat any non live foods, i have fed flipper shrimp and fresh trout from the grocery market since Ive had them, they don't go near it though which sucks I guess. Good thing I have this guppy/mollie tank going, I have been playing God and plucking out some of the non pregnant ones, I just threw in 2 guppies and they were gone in under 20 seconds, the exodons chased them down and ate them whole, it was pretty sweet. I really like these guys, they never stop darting around in the tank, don't get me wrong, I am and always will be now a piranha fan until I end up 6ft under, but flipper I would say 80% of the time just sits in one spot, behind this plant I put in a couple weeks ago. So the exos have added some excitiment to the tank, which I enjoy immensely

1 - 20 of 21 Posts