Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very curious about the legality (sp?) of Wimples in states where piranhas are illegal.

I went to the Texas Game & Wildlife website and was able to locate some info on the subject. They have a whole page on what type of fish, shellfish and plants are illegal in Texas. (you can visit it here) According to the website this is what is illegal concerning piranhas:

Piranhas and
Pirambebas
Family: Serrasalmidae
Subfamily: Serrasalminae
All species

Correct me if I am wrong, but I dont beleive this includes Wimples. I would say you can keep them as long as you have suffient proof lying around that they are not included in this listing.

I am sure each state has a website like this. So you can check it out on your own.

Hope this sheds some light on the subject.

Justin

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
serjuanca88 Posted on Mar 28 2003, 09:40 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am very curious about the legality (sp?) of Wimples in states where piranhas are illegal.
Piranhas and
Pirambebas
Family: Serrasalmidae
Subfamily: Serrasalminae
All species
Here is where you have a common name legal problem and scientific as well. What this says to a scientist, all species in Subfamily Serrasalminae sensu Family Serrasalmidae are prohibited. That means in laymen terms, silver dollars, pacus, tambaqui, wimples etc., are illegal including piranas and related forms.

Since the common name piranhas and pirambebas is also included that effective makes those names that pertain to those fish most certainly illegal.

So you have a double-edged sword making both types of fishes in the entire family/subfamily illegal by scientific and common name.

You would have to be a lawyer to have the differentiation made to exclude non-pirana type fishes or have the legislature revise the law.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,146 Posts
..i live in illegal state,and they sell them here...

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
thePACK Posted on Mar 28 2003, 09:51 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..i live in illegal state,and they sell them here...
And the point is?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I'd say find and buy one anyways, what are the chances of the police showing up at your door wanting to see your fish?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jimbo said:
I'd say find and buy one anyways, what are the chances of the police showing up at your door wanting to see your fish?
I know. I'm just trying to make an argument here and try to draw some conclusions.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
jimbo Posted on Mar 28 2003, 10:11 PM
Funny you write that as I thought the same thing when the state police knocked on my door in 1993 and asked to see my piranas. Someone bore a grudge and reported my possession. So never be to sure of yourself or keeping piranas safe in an illegal state.

serjuanca88 Posted on Mar 28 2003, 10:21 PM
Any lawyers here, who actually give jack sh*t about this, and want to look into it a little?
Speaking from experience, this is something that a lawyer will have little to do unless of course you are cited for possession of having a silver dollar (unlikely). What you can do is contact your local state representative and present to him this information and ask that the other species that are in Subfamily Serrasalminae (ie; pacus, silver dollars, tambaqui, wimples) be excluded since they are not by diffintion piranas or pirambebas.

If the state wants to be thorough and fair, they need to dump the common name references and stick to scientific if they want to get it right.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hastatus said:
Funny you write that as I thought the same thing when the state police knocked on my door in 1993 and asked to see my piranas. Someone bore a grudge and reported my possession. So never be to sure of yourself or keeping piranas safe in an illegal state.
So, what happened?

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
hastatus said:
Long story short, I gutted and decapitated Oregon Fish and Wildlife in court and in the legislature to legalize piranas in Oregon.

PS: I also made them eat my $25 fine.
Gutted and decapitated! Classic Frank!

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,504 Posts
hastatus said:

serjuanca88 Posted on Mar 28 2003, 10:21 PM
Any lawyers here, who actually give jack sh*t about this, and want to look into it a little?
Speaking from experience, this is something that a lawyer will have little to do unless of course you are cited for possession of having a silver dollar (unlikely). What you can do is contact your local state representative and present to him this information and ask that the other species that are in Subfamily Serrasalminae (ie; pacus, silver dollars, tambaqui, wimples) be excluded since they are not by diffintion piranas or pirambebas.

If the state wants to be thorough and fair, they need to dump the common name references and stick to scientific if they want to get it right.
One of the worse thing to ever happen to anyone..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts