Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Incase you didnt catch it I am down to two a male and a female, one died of natural causes.

Well today I finally got to see them attack feeders. They move very swiftly and appear to broad side the feeders, they scrape of scales as they go and then you see them pluck the cloud of scales off one by one, very intresting, like I was told by others who owned them it is truely a unique attacking experience

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Hey Nate, just curious how you can tell wimples apart sexually? Is there something in particular to look for?

~Dj

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Nate your Wimple experiences and posts have really intrigued me. How big do they grow, whats their max size?

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, John, but for now I want to see how these two do.

To tell you guys truthfully I dont know much about these fellas. Frank seems to be the only one that has alot of into on them so check his site. They dont get very big, I think it was something in the 5" range. He told me the were like juvi rhoms in temperment, but mine havent shown that type of aggression towards eachother, as a matter of a fact I havent seen any aggression towards eachother, just after the feeders.

The difference between these and red bellies from what I have seen is....

Wimples arent skittish, they are like normal community fish, they will just look at you when you try to scare them or what not.

They are very active, I have lots of fake plants in the tank and they dart around them all day

They certainly look unique

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Knifeman said:
If you decide you want more Nate, let me know. I have a source, and can get you some real nice ones around 4" for about $20 each if you buy a few.
Can he ship. I am intereted in getting a few of these for kicks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Xenon said:
Knifeman said:
If you decide you want more Nate, let me know. I have a source, and can get you some real nice ones around 4" for about $20 each if you buy a few.
Can he ship. I am intereted in getting a few of these for kicks.
Yes, but not at that price. I would be the one shipping, and I don't really have the time to set that up right now. Don't you drive through Columbus occasionally anyway sometimes? If you told me in advance when you would be here, maybe we could arrange something.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Sir Nathan XXI Posted on Apr 9 2003, 02:29 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To tell you guys truthfully I dont know much about these fellas. Frank seems to be the only one that has alot of into on them so check his site. They dont get very big, I think it was something in the 5" range. He told me the were like juvi rhoms in temperment, but mine havent shown that type of aggression towards eachother, as a matter of a fact I havent seen any aggression towards eachother, just after the feeders.
I would like to see my exact wording to you about the temperment remark. Please post it here.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here is your qoute "I have no idea, it will be luck of draw on compatibility, if you can keep either sex for very long together. Provide plenty of cover, not that it will mean much anyway as these fish are solitary. They are to me, similar to S. rhombeus in temperment. " quote of hastatus, link to thread other wimple thread

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Sir Nathan XXI Posted on Apr 9 2003, 05:24 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
here is your qoute "I have no idea, it will be luck of draw on compatibility, if you can keep either sex for very long together. Provide plenty of cover, not that it will mean much anyway as these fish are solitary. They are to me, similar to S. rhombeus in temperment. " quote of hastatus, link to thread other wimple thread
Thank you. I doubt your 2 or so weeks of observation can discount what I wrote on this species, the compatibility and behavior. My research was based on several years of observation with over a 100 specimens. Again, your 2 or 4 specimens don't mean much to factualize anything.

Sir Nathan XXI Posted on Apr 9 2003, 02:29 PM

The difference between these and red bellies from what I have seen is....

Wimples arent skittish, they are like normal community fish, they will just look at you when you try to scare them or what not.

They are very active, I have lots of fake plants in the tank and they dart around them all day

They certainly look unique

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am growing tired of having to repeat to you that I am merely speaking of my fish and/or one that I have watched that other people own, I am not saying every wimple will act like mine, nor am I trying to discredit what you say, everything I say is not an attack at your work like you think it is, as a matter of fact I dont try to discredit you at all, we might not agree, but that doesnt mean I am saying you are wrong

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Sir Nathan XXI Posted on Apr 9 2003, 05:57 PM
we might not agree, but that doesnt mean I am saying you are wrong
Same difference Nate, you disagree because it is not what you are seeing in your two or so weeks of observation of a fish you have no experience on and probably have no clue on what you are observing. IF you had indeed read my literature on C. mento, I clearly stated young specimens school in the aquario, but later in life become solitary.

It is atypical of much of what you write about on piranas and now Catoprion mento based on your limited experience on a topic and inability to convey that into a coherent picture of what is actually being seen. The unfortunate information is newbies will see your post and think, wow Super Nate knows what he is talking about. He is disproving information by a person knowledgeable about them.

Never mind, I think members here can decipher for themselves what your main goal is and what is real and what is not.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
actually mine are nearly full grown about 4" so its not juvenile specimens

when are you going to learn people can have differening opinions?
you obviously feel threatened by my presence or you would go over every one of my posts to try and make yourself look better than me. do you see me following everything you say and comenting on it? no, because I dont care

and yes I do know alot about piranhas, more than the majority of people do, but I know there are many people that know more about them than I do, for example the people you got all your articles from, I doubt I will ever know as much as they do, nor do I plan to try

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Sir Nathan XXI Posted on Apr 9 2003, 06:28 PM
actually mine are nearly full grown about 4" so its not juvenile specimens

when are you going to learn people can have differening opinions?
you obviously feel threatened by my presence or you would go over every one of my posts to try and make yourself look better than me. do you see me following everything you say and comenting on it? no, because I dont care

and yes I do know alot about piranhas, more than the majority of people do, but I know there are many people that know more about them than I do, for example the people you got all your articles from, I doubt I will ever know as much as they do, nor do I plan to try
How do you know they are not juvenile in size? did you measure them? or classic eyeball measuring?

Nope not threatened at all, simply trying to pick that brain of yours to see what you actually know or think you know so that I can clear it up for people to understand what you are obviously not seeing. I don't believe 2 or 3 weeks of observation by you is much of a threat LOL.

So you know more than the majority of people? Here? I find that hard to believe and find that atypical of your huge ego. Something discussed and quite frankly observed by members here at Pfury and elsewhere. Those articles (as in scientific journals) are read and shared throughtout the entire scientific community. We all learn from them and not limited to just one writer. Again, shows how little you know. Well, its to bad you don't plan to learn about piranas as these scientists, because clearly indicates how close minded you are and refuse to evolve. Sort of like a cockroach, unfortunately will probably survive us all.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
no I just mean I plan to sit down and do research on them in the wild like most of them do, and I know all about publishing and reading science journals, one thing that you always try to attempt is to portay yourself as highly and intelligent, well you need to realize that there are many more people smarter than you

I have no ego other than the one you built for me, I dont care what people think of me, I report what I see and observe, I dont care who agrees or not, I am not lying about what I see either, and just because it contradicts what somebody else says wont stop me from saying what I see and believe.

One question for you, when do you plan to stop trying to call me ignorant? You know darn well I am intelligent and so does everybody else, grow up.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Sir Nathan XXI Posted on Apr 9 2003, 06:52 PM
no I just mean I plan to sit down and do research on them in the wild like most of them do, and I know all about publishing and reading science journals, one thing that you always try to attempt is to portay yourself as highly and intelligent, well you need to realize that there are many more people smarter than you

I have no ego other than the one you built for me, I dont care what people think of me, I report what I see and observe, I dont care who agrees or not, I am not lying about what I see either, and just because it contradicts what somebody else says wont stop me from saying what I see and believe.

One question for you, when do you plan to stop trying to call me ignorant? You know darn well I am intelligent and so does everybody else, grow up.
That's too funny!

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
I am smarter than both of you

Now can we get back to the Wimples?

Are you feeding them anything other than feeders? Can you?

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Xenon Posted on Apr 9 2003, 07:58 PM
I am smarter than both of you
Very likely so

Are you feeding them anything other than feeders? Can you?
They can be fed pieces of shrimp, which they relish. Beef heart is not always accepted. Live bugs (ie; flies) are eaten.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts