Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I posted an add for my three red bellies, hoping to sell them before I have to move (It would make it easier on me and the fish). So I was thinking of getting 5-7 super reds all at an inch in length for my 55 gallon! Would 5 be fine in there for life? I know the rule of thumb is 3 in a 55, but the 3 I have in there are pretty big, and I think 2 more would be fine! Let me know what you think

·
Registered
873 Posts
get a 75 gal for 5 reds . . . the extra 6 inches in width will be a word of difference for your pygos. if you kept the 55, 5 reds starting off at 1" may make it 14-16 months untill there way too overcrowded. that may buy you some time to save for something 75 gallons or bigger. also, you're gonna need a really good filtration system if your gonna overstock. whatever you get for a filtration system, make it big enough to properly filter the tank you will eventually end up with, but keep it on the smaller tank untill you move the reds.

~Will.

·
Registered
873 Posts
bobme said:
Id say a 90 be better for them but thats just me
correct me if i'm wrong, but dosent a standard 90 have the exact same footprint as a 75?

i never really felt height in a tank was a big consideration for my P's as there usually hanging around the bottom, or crusing the powerhead. Ideally I would like a tank that was 4' long, 2' deep, and 18" tall for the stand I have built now. that would equal out to a 90 gallon, but it would have to be custom made somewhere.

~Will.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Thats not goin to work. A 55 isn't that big for that many fish. I would find a cheap used tank prolly a 100-125g, both of those are 6ft long. You can find those tanks for only 100 bucks. Don't go for a 75 or 90 that would be just a waste of money.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'd say get the fish. Grow them up in your 55g til you can save your $ to get a bigger tank. I agree, don't waste your $ on a 75g or 90g( especially the 90g)' You have a year or 2 till those fish outgrow that tank and by then you could have a bunch of cash saved to buy something they would definately be comfortable in for life. I think I paid about $300 for my 165g set up and I'm sure you could find a better deal on a used tank somewhere in the next 2 years, I'd say buy the fish now and keep them in your 55g. They'll be fine for a couple of years while you wait for a steal of a deal. Trust me, it will come along in a couple of years. Just think about how many times you saw a steal on a tank but you didn't have the cash or the space. When I got my 75g I thought it was HUGE and my fish would be happy in their forever but they outgrew that in a hurry. Trust me. If your an addict like I am you WILL keep getting bigger and bigger tanks and you will never be satisfied so don't waste a lot o $ for a minor upgrade. Save your cash and make it worth your time. Theres no rush. You can keep your p's in that 55g for 2 years until you need to upgrade. If you save $20 a month for 2 years you'll have $480 bucks saved up to get your p's something they will definately be comfortable in for the rest of their lives. $20 bucks a month will never be missed but it sure will make your p's happy. All a 75g is going to buy you is a couple more years until you need a bigger tank and a 90g is a total waste of $ because the p's don't use the xtra height at all. My 75g that used to look so huge to me, is just a preschool-highschool tank right now until the fish are big enough to enter the real world. My obsession is so bad right now that I am planning on building a house next year and all I can think about is the 1000+g tank I'm gonna have built in. I really don't care what the house looks like as long as I can get my tank.
I guess what I/m trying to say is that your fish will be fine for a couple of years in what you have now so don't think baby-steps, save your cash and make it worth your while.
I appoligize for the long post, but I'm new to this board so get used to it :smile: I've been on p fish for about a year and a half til nick recommended I check this out. Thanks again nick. I've owned p's for over 16yrs so I am obviously infatuated so when I speak I tend to babble. You won't here from me too much this summer because I work construction with long hours but when I get laid off in the winter I'll be checking in nightly so be prepared to read :smile:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts