Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my lfs says that using an air pump stops the growth of plants, as the bubbles use up what the plants need.

But i now have a Co2 cannister installed but can i leave my air pump on, as my fish starve of oxegen if i turn off

· Registered
18,153 Posts
Bubbles enlarge the surface area, and increase the oxygenation of your tank. At the surface gas exchange takes place: CO2 is replaced by oxygen.
So in theory an air pump could affect the effectiveness of your CO2 system.
I'm not sure to what degree, so I leave that to our plant pro's.

· Registered
180 Posts
your lfs is right, disturbing the surface of the water releases the co2 from the water, c02 and 02 can be in the water at the same time (you can have high levels of c02 and high levels of 02) , i dont know why your fish would be starving for 02, and the plants should produce 02 faster than your fish should use it up unless you heavily overstock or let food rot. with a bubble stone disturbing the surface you will get no benifit from having a co2 reactor. go to www.thekrib.com and read some of the plant posts.

· I HAVE THE SOUVLAKI POWER!!!!!
3,119 Posts
You can always try them together and separate and take Co2 test in order to see how the Co2/O2 'work' in each case....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.