Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 3 mean reds. well , i noticed when they eat , they are constantly going nuts , for example , when one gets some food , the other two will go right at his mouth for the other . 1) will this cause a white looking cut on its mouth? 2) is it possible for them to have a white bump on thier chin , looks like they are bumping the glass??? i just want to make sure its not disease. thanks

· Registered
3,280 Posts
they are bascailly fighting over the food. some piranha will do that for some reason. i.e one piranha grabs a chunk of food to eat and the others try to rip it out of it's mouth even there is another piece of food laying on the bottom of the tank not being touched. it's just their nature, I suppose.

the white looking cut on the mouth that u are talking about is from the other piranha biting the lips off when engaging in a feeding frenzy. the 'white' u refer to is your piranha's teeth. the lip is gone therefore you can see their teeth.

as for the bump on the chin...that is more than likely from your piranha rubbing against the glass and causing an irritation.

does that answer your questions>?>?

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes , 100% , i just went near the tank and noticed that they scatter and go absolutly nuts and hit anthing in their way ie. the clay pot , filter tube , rocks , anything. so i think thats what caused the white on the chins. can they get seriously hurt hitting things swimming in fear?? and thanks for your info , you are right on the money!!! i just wanted to make sure its not disease!!!

· Registered
3,280 Posts
elTwitcho said:
Not too likely, they've got pretty thick skulls. I've seen mine crash into stuff pretty damn hard and it's never phased them.
[snapback]841635[/snapback]​
I agree with that. I too have seen them crash into stuff pretty fuckin hard, but never hard enough to cause any serious damage/injuries. they may cut themselves from hitting things, but not anything serious enough to worry about.

goodluck

· Registered
3,063 Posts
i dont think running in to stuff is going to serriously injure them, my rohm was chasing a tiger barb, at what i gues was full speed, the barb shot behind the filter tube, then my little 5 in rom smashs in to it, knocking it off! i mean that thing was hard to put on. any way point is i dont think running in to thigs is going to cause serious injury

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.