Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
My Rhom could kick your Rhom's ass!
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not sure I get it with widescreent tvs and their presentation for dvds.... got my new widescreent tv on tue.... now i know through watching on my dads huge lcd that when you buy a widescreen their is still going to be the bars, but not as badly as say on a 4:3 tv...? well i watched pirates 2 last night on mine and damnit half of the screen was wasted!!! it was a beautiful picture and what not but shouldnt it be filling in my screen more? why do some dvds show more picture while others still have pretty big bars on top and bottom??? why was pirates so thin......!?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Yeah try your different zoom and widescreen settings. I thought that with our new TV there wouldn't be any bars on the tv for watching movies and HD programs but only bars on the sides for regular tv. The thing with some older widescreen movies is that they are in widescreen but aren't made for the new screen format. I wish everybody would have gotten together and said "okay, this is the new size" and make it final. sheesh

·
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im pretty sure you dont want to mess with the zoom and what not on dvds.... thats going to mess with pic quality bigtime! hd channels are perfect- its just the movies, and pirates just came out... its brand new!!! its just that whole true aspect ratio thing--- and the stretch mode works great for regular programming--- i hate the bars on the sides!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
not the zoom, like I said, I just got the new sony 46" XBR2, its got differerent modes: normal, wide, full, wide zoom, normal zoom. I love full because it stretches the pictures more at the corners instead of the whole frame. Looks a little like wide angle lens, but the majority of what we watch is in the center of the frame.

·
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, BUT to get your true picture your not going to want to mess with those settings- i like to have a true pic when viewing hd and dvds, but the standard channels can use the stretch imo....

·
Skankzilla
18,320 Posts
KoK, theres a difference between 16x9 (which I believe is your tv) and what the actual movie is. Yes they are both widescreen, but not always the same. I know some movies I will have alittle black bar and some movies on dvd are perfect with no black bars. This is without zooming.

I forget which is which. I'd have to check into it more... Try using a few other dvds, a few of them as widescreen will fit your tv perfectly while some will have those little black bars. They shouldn't be as bad as what you see on a normal tv though, if it is, I'd say one of your settings/zoom/aspect ration is off.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
sucks for you. sorry... i bet hyphen knows the answer.. he worked at radio shack.. plus he's all techy suave... i mean savvvy. LOL

·
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sucks for you. sorry... i bet hyphen knows the answer.. he worked at radio shack.. plus he's all techy suave... i mean savvvy. LOL
no- it really doesnt suck to be me....? neways yes i have a 16:9 tv.... arent all widescreens sold in stores 16:9? and each dvd is different, some show very little black bar, while others take half of my screen away--- like last night.... i have my tv set to 16:9--- i dont want to have to use "zoom" as it throws the clarity off...

im just thinking here that MAYBE i need to go into the dvd player menu and tell the player its 16:9? idk? could that be the problem.... never did that and the last tv i had was a 4:3...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.