Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what does it do for my water though??? if i spend weeks cycling it then why would i change the water after i already spent all that time???

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Basically, 'cycling' a tank is just jumpstarting the biological cycle: Ammonia -> Nitrite -> Nitrate
Bacteria will 'feed' on ammonia (which forms from decomposing plant and food remains and fish waste), releasing nitrites into the water. Other bacteria will absorb these nitrites, and release nitrates. These nitrates are the final product of the tank cycle, and even though they are not nearly as harmful as ammonia and nitrites, their levels should not become too high.
Performing water changes will lower the amount of nitrates in the water.

·
Registered
362 Posts
keeps all the crap that those fish produce out
and also it changes te chemical levels also gets rid of ammonia and nitrite and nitrate levels. As well as the old food uneaten its just all round good ad you need to do it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Judazzz said:
Basically, 'cycling' a tank is just jumpstarting the biological cycle: Ammonia -> Nitrite -> Nitrate
Bacteria will 'feed' on ammonia (which forms from decomposing plant and food remains and fish waste), releasing nitrites into the water. Other bacteria will absorb these nitrites, and release nitrates. These nitrates are the final product of the tank cycle, and even though they are not nearly as harmful as ammonia and nitrites, their levels should not become too high.
Performing water chages will lower the amount of nitrates in the water.
I agree.

G

·
Judazzz said:
indeed.
it's the only 100% positive way of removing toxins.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Agre, basically eliminate/dilute harmful substances!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
On top of 25%weekly water change I do 10g a day. They seem quite active and my water is perfect. Another thing having 12 p's in a tank, they do produce alot of waste.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Judazzz said:
Couldn't have said it better!!!!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yeah, all of the above!

Basically the best medicine is preventitive- and by doing weekly w/c, your avoiding any nasty surprises later on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts