Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering I went on a trip and left my planted tank the way it has been for awhile now. When I came back I notcied one of my light strips was out. The person that fed my fish said it went out the day I left. I only had half the wattage that it normally has for about 4-5 days. The plants look greener and healthy than usual. Why is this? should I leave less light? or is it that they asorb all the nutrients and things needed without all the light? any1? Thanks fella's

JK

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
well the question cannot be answered with out asking. What kinda wattage are you pushing?
What I'm thinking is there was a balance found with the low light and the lack of added ferts while you were away that the plants enjoy. It is possible that you were pushing too much light to them and not enough fert or co2 to engourage the good growth.

·
DYNOMITE!
6,671 Posts
Ya, you have to tell us how you are running the tank, and it's specs to even come close to answering that one

·
Registered
551 Posts
Just wondering I went on a trip and left my planted tank the way it has been for awhile now. When I came back I notcied one of my light strips was out. The person that fed my fish said it went out the day I left. I only had half the wattage that it normally has for about 4-5 days. The plants look greener and healthy than usual. Why is this? should I leave less light? or is it that they asorb all the nutrients and things needed without all the light? any1? Thanks fella's

JK
hmm, maybe leave your lights like that for a while and see if you have consistant results

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just have the 2 shop lights with the 160 watts on a 100 gallon tank. Not much light but enough for my fully planted tank with all low light plants. I think I have the 6700k's. I ran out of good fert and just used that cheap leaf zone stuff and then I was using Excel but ran out of it too. They looked like they had sucked up all the nutrients when I was gone cause they looked extra healthy. How long til the excel is gone in the tank? days or hours? If I get a co2 system will it mess with PH and make the PH swing? seem to be spending to much on excel...
thankz folks

·
DYNOMITE!
6,671 Posts
How long til the excel is gone in the tank? days or hours?
definately days
If I get a co2 system will it mess with PH and make the PH swing? seem to be spending to much on excel...
Co2 is carbonic acid, so it will absolutely play with your pH. In the long run, I think pressurized is a better deal than buying excell all the time. I buy excell by the 2l bottle though.. saves some.

Honestly, maybe you were overdoing the ferts a bit in your tank. That isn't unheard of.. I dose my tank a lot because of my lights.
You have softer lights, which means softer dosing.
-- that is all I can think of

1 - 6 of 6 Posts