Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man I am thinking about never syphoning my gravel again. Cause I have 3 big (8 inch) reds in my 55 and when I get them going they stur up some sh*t! I mean when I waive my hand in front of the tank and scare them they FREAK OUT as usuall with reds, but since they are so big they just bring all the crap out of the gravel. So the next time I change water I am just going to freak them out and let them get the stuff out of the gravel while I suck it out

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
hahahah, thats can work too.

i usually clean my gravel 2 times a month, at least once a month, it doesn't really get all that messy when i stay on top.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
you will still get loads of crap within the gravel i would still give it a vac.
my reds do this also but i still vac every week
dixon

·
Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
18,670 Posts
DiXoN said:
you will still get loads of crap within the gravel i would still give it a vac.
my reds do this also but i still vac every week
dixon
listen to the man
lots of sh$% comes out with the gravel vac

even stuff towards the bottom with wouldent stir up with the reds moving around

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
they may stir up some of it, but i still think that u need to vacumm the gravel. not to mention any injuries they may sustain from you freaking them out and them crashing all over the place.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HEY I know I still need to syphon the gravel! I was just making fun of how scared my reds are. It is kind of funny that such a big scaring looking fish that destroys other fish twice it's size is SO SCARED of us

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
ncith said:
It is kind of funny that such a big scaring looking fish that destroys other fish twice it's size is SO SCARED of us
Wade into the Orinoco with a beefheart in your hand. Or, are you scared of those little fish?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Serrapygo said:
Wade into the Orinoco with a beefheart in your hand. Or, are you scared of those little fish?
Three in a 55 gallon home aquarium!!! Not the middle of the Orinoco, or Amazon with over 20 differant species of piranha. You must be insain to do that, OR JUST LIVE THERE

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
Three in a 55 gallon home aquarium!!!
EXACTLY!! They are out of their realm. Imprisoned you might say. Could this explain their fear?

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Scaring your RBs and having crap and waste fly all over the tank doesnt help you get rid of it easier. Honestly, you'll get more of the crap out if they';re more settled on the bottom undisturbed. Also you might not want to vacum too much to have a spotless tank, syphoning 2" into the gravel weopuld help keep some of the bacteria to help keep your water perimeters steady.

Birdman said:
it is so much easier to have a bare bottom tank
You might be right, but you need some of the bacteria/waste/crap to be kept inside the tank to help balance out your ammonia/nitrate/nitrite levels steady. Plus theres also more complications with just having a bare bottom tank.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts