Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
My Rhom is 4 " now and eyes still not red yet.... All he does is hover under the power head. He isnt eating again. Even if he does he only eats damn feeders nothing else... He doesnt eat the krill, beefheart... they just rot right beside him, all he wants to do is fight with the other fish on the other side of the divider. When usually their eyes go red ?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
You've still got a few months for that to happen. you should expect it around 6 inches. There is nothing to worry about with his eating habits. You need to starve him until he eats what you want him to. They will eat just about anything meaty.

SP.

·
Bean Power!
8,912 Posts
kevinhaeb said:
You've still got a few months for that to happen. you should expect it around 6 inches. There is nothing to worry about with his eating habits. You need to starve him until he eats what you want him to. They will eat just about anything meaty.

SP.
[snapback]890207[/snapback]​
A "few months"?
X3 maybe! Starving him is a bad idea. Unless you want to slow his growth even more. Give him what he wants and keep offering non-live at the same time. Fish should be his primary diet. He'll come around.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Serrapygo, have you looked around recently or done it yourself? Thats how you get your piranhas to eat things they don't usually eat. I'm not saying to literally starve him for months, but take a week and keep trying the food you want to feed him. If you offer him feeders and krill, then guess what he's going to keep on eating? Thats right, feeders. As everyone knows, feeders are horrible for your fish and definitely not economical.

I apologize to everyone at Pfury for typing a "few months", I was way out of line there. So, you should expect red eyes at 6 inches. Sorry if I misinformed anyone.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
kevinhaeb said:
Serrapygo, have you looked around recently or done it yourself? Thats how you get your piranhas to eat things they don't usually eat. I'm not saying to literally starve him for months, but take a week and keep trying the food you want to feed him. If you offer him feeders and krill, then guess what he's going to keep on eating? Thats right, feeders. As everyone knows, feeders are horrible for your fish and definitely not economical.

I apologize to everyone at Pfury for typing a "few months", I was way out of line there. So, you should expect red eyes at 6 inches. Sorry if I misinformed anyone.

[snapback]890308[/snapback]​
i agree with you entirely. thats what im doin with my rhom right now. starving him for a little. im offering him krill now and then to see if he eats it. and your rhom necroxeon should get the red eyes at 6"

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well, I've heard its the age of the fish, not the size. My rhom is only about 4 inches and his eyes are pretty red. I've had him a little over six months and his eyes had no color really when I first got him. Now they look pretty good.

·
Registered
573 Posts
^ i agree... it definately has much more to do with age than size... ive seen very small rhoms (<4") with red eyes before...

·
Danse Macabre&#33;
10,561 Posts
My 5 incher has deep red eyes, they just come in whenever they come in.

As for food, I would starve him until he's eating what you want him to eat. Mine didn't eat for two and a half weeks before finally accepting shrimp and smelt instead of feeders. It's healthier for your fish in the long run this way.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I also have a 4" highback rhom and all he does is chill by the powerhead and stalk the oscars I have in the tank right up next to his. He will only eat goldfish and rosie's. I dont understand why its soooo bad to feed live fish to him. What do you think he eats in the wild? Other fish, right? You all got me confused. However, I have found that when I run out of feeders, it takes about 3-4 days but he WILL start to accept freeze dried krill but only when it is being pushed around by the water flow and it resembles something he can chase. That is the key. The food needs to be in motion to spark his interest. Remember, rhoms will attack anything that moves. Mine even tries to attack my fingers when I flutter them across the outside of his tank, its hilarious. Oh, mine doesnt have red eyes yet either but they are starting to get "pinkish". Hope this was a helpful comparison.

·
The ASSMAN
20,570 Posts
kevinhaeb said:
Serrapygo, have you looked around recently or done it yourself? Thats how you get your piranhas to eat things they don't usually eat.
Serrapygo has been keeping these fish for a Long time so I wouldnt just dismiss what he has to offer. Why would you starve a 4" fish? I would offer non-live food daily...that is not starving him, it is his choice if he wants to eat it or not. Starving constitutes not offering him food for a long period. This is a juvy fish so it is important for him to eat. When I am trying to get these fish off feeders I put food in at night when the lights go out and then take it out if it not eaten in the morning. I wouldnt offer a feeder unless he hasnt eaten for a week. I would give him a feeder, and then start the non-live only diet for another week.
If he was an adult fish I wouldnt offer any feeders and just keep doing the non-live diet and I wouldnt add food every day but every few days...but this is the difference when dealing with adult fish and juvy fish.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
skool-of-death said:
I also have a 4" highback rhom and all he does is chill by the powerhead and stalk the oscars I have in the tank right up next to his. He will only eat goldfish and rosie's. I dont understand why its soooo bad to feed live fish to him. What do you think he eats in the wild? Other fish, right? You all got me confused. However, I have found that when I run out of feeders, it takes about 3-4 days but he WILL start to accept freeze dried krill but only when it is being pushed around by the water flow and it resembles something he can chase. That is the key. The food needs to be in motion to spark his interest. Remember, rhoms will attack anything that moves. Mine even tries to attack my fingers when I flutter them across the outside of his tank, its hilarious. Oh, mine doesnt have red eyes yet either but they are starting to get "pinkish". Hope this was a helpful comparison.
[snapback]890833[/snapback]​
It's okay to give feeders if they are bred by you and not the suppliers of the fish stores or quarantined for at least a week. Especially from Wal-mart stores. The reasoning is the risk of killing of your fish worth hundreds of dollars due to diseases that they carry becuase you decided to feed a 29 cent feeder. That is why most people put their feeders in a separate tank for at least a week. When it comes to goldfish, everyone already knows that they contain growth inhibitors. They don't help your fish at all. So, what this boils down to is if you can afford feeders and keep them separated before feeding than no problem. If you want diversity, good coloring, and to save money then try other stuff like shrimp, krill, white fish filets, and so on.

Most every rhom that I have seen around six inches has red eyes. Its pretty much a guidline at six inches. Though, its not a quarantee. I guess we could say between 4-6 inches. I have a juvi rhom that looks just like the first one posted and he is not showing any signs of red in his eyes. Some of you are very lucky to have such small rhoms with the deep red eyes.
Kevin

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
grosse gurke said:
kevinhaeb said:
Serrapygo, have you looked around recently or done it yourself? Thats how you get your piranhas to eat things they don't usually eat.
Serrapygo has been keeping these fish for a Long time so I wouldnt just dismiss what he has to offer. Why would you starve a 4" fish? I would offer non-live food daily...that is not starving him, it is his choice if he wants to eat it or not. Starving constitutes not offering him food for a long period. This is a juvy fish so it is important for him to eat. When I am trying to get these fish off feeders I put food in at night when the lights go out and then take it out if it not eaten in the morning. I wouldnt offer a feeder unless he hasnt eaten for a week. I would give him a feeder, and then start the non-live only diet for another week.
If he was an adult fish I wouldnt offer any feeders and just keep doing the non-live diet and I wouldnt add food every day but every few days...but this is the difference when dealing with adult fish and juvy fish.
[snapback]890862[/snapback]​
I agree with not starving a small fish, but why teach them bad habits. I respect what serrapygo has to say and realize he has been in the hobby much longer, but it wasnt the complete details of what needed to be said. Sure, you shouldn't starve your fish, but he shouldn't get what he wants if you can't supply it and run the risk of him catching a disease.

I have just noticed that lots of owners prefer to "teach" their fish immediately. My juvi learned pretty quickly. However, my 9 inch rhom has not eaten in two weeks because he apparently doesn't like my shrimp. He will eat the shrimp I have because that is what is best for him, very healthy, and cheap IMO.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think that there is only one variant of rhom that get red eyes in juvenile time. That is rhom from Rio Araguaia. He get red eyes when he is only 4-5 inches.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Soldat said:
skool-of-death said:
It's okay to give feeders if they are bred by you and not the suppliers of the fish stores or quarantined for at least a week. Especially from Wal-mart stores. The reasoning is the risk of killing of your fish worth hundreds of dollars due to diseases that they carry becuase you decided to feed a 29 cent feeder. That is why most people put their feeders in a separate tank for at least a week. When it comes to goldfish, everyone already knows that they contain growth inhibitors. They don't help your fish at all. So, what this boils down to is if you can afford feeders and keep them separated before feeding than no problem. If you want diversity, good coloring, and to save money then try other stuff like shrimp, krill, white fish filets, and so on.

Most every rhom that I have seen around six inches has red eyes. Its pretty much a guidline at six inches. Though, its not a quarantee. I guess we could say between 4-6 inches. I have a juvi rhom that looks just like the first one posted and he is not showing any signs of red in his eyes. Some of you are very lucky to have such small rhoms with the deep red eyes.
Kevin
[snapback]890867[/snapback]​
But goldfish are still very bad for Piranhas and other fish to eat. 100%

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Filo said:
Soldat said:
skool-of-death said:
[snapback]890867[/snapback]​
But goldfish are still very bad for Piranhas and other fish to eat. 100%
[snapback]894231[/snapback]​
Can't you read? That's exactly what the man said...

What's up with that 100% BS, btw?

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
this is what happend with my reds. i fed them flake food up untill 1 in. i wonted to try a live fish. i put a rosey in there. they ate it. but after that they would not eat flakes. its because i put them on life...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts