Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the reason it's better to run a single canister like an xp3 with a hob, instead of just running two canisters?
It would seem that 2 xp3s would be better than 1 xp3 and an ac110. I know other say it's not but why? Only reason Ive heard so far is canisters can be "nitrate factories" , that's it? Thats why?

·
Banned
4,315 Posts
IMO the only reason to run a canister and a HOB is if your HOB has a biowheel and your canister does not...if you use a Magnum 350 Pro, problem solved!

G

·
HOB's generally are cheaper and cant pump more gallons of water through its filtration...this usually results in clearer water and less debris.

HOWEVER, I agree with you. I still think 2 cannisters and weekly water changes is the best set up. Especially is the cannisters are Ehiems.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
What is the reason it's better to run a single canister like an xp3 with a hob, instead of just running two canisters?
It would seem that 2 xp3s would be better than 1 xp3 and an ac110. I know other say it's not but why? Only reason Ive heard so far is canisters can be "nitrate factories" , that's it? Thats why?
There is no such reason, HOB is simply not that good, a canister filter is generally more efficient and easier to maintain too. A good canister filter is the best choice. Having said that, you see that two canisters is even better. Here is why.

With two canisters, you have at least one running if something odd happens.
Also during maintenance, you can use the shifting maintenance system. For example every 3rd month clean one canister and next time the other one only.
Plus that with two canisters you can create the best circulation in your tank. You just set the intake pipes at the bottom back corners of your tank, and two outlet (pressure) pipes at the surface on opposite sides of the tank (no dead corners or spots even in a long tank)

Harry

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
you can do 2 cannisters if they have all the types of filtration
and for the biowheel parti found a biowheel cannister attachment (its in bigals prouduct guide in Marineland section)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts