Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just recently found out that snakeheads are illegal in the us. i can understand about piranhas but i dont know why they would be somebody please explain

·
5,336 Posts
they eat everything, reproduce like rabbits... can withstand sever temp swings... live anywhere, eat anything and out compete everything they cant eat...and can basically thrash a total ecosystem if released into the wild... Ps will die in 99% of the us waters (cali, and florida, far south) and thats why ps are illegal there, and snakeheads are illegal everywhere.... it all depends on the stupid asses who let them into the wild to get them banned where they already arent...

·
Cannonfruit!!!1!!1!11!
12,264 Posts
And it's gross generalizations of the Channidae like the ones made in the post above that have the entire family banned throughout the United States. Truthfully, a few species are that cold-tolerant and it's just easier to ban the lot of them throughout the U.S. than to pick and choose certain species. If wildlife biologists can't tell the difference between Pacu and Piranhas, they probably can't discern between species of SHs.

·
The Lord Himself is Life to me
4,283 Posts
And it's gross generalizations of the Channidae like the ones made in the post above that have the entire family banned throughout the United States. Truthfully, a few species are that cold-tolerant and it's just easier to ban the lot of them throughout the U.S. than to pick and choose certain species. If wildlife biologists can't tell the difference between Pacu and Piranhas, they probably can't discern between species of SHs.
I wasn't going to get into this but ChilDawg is correct. Really, IMHO only 3-4 species of channa should be illegal, the first being the argus. But with a fish with such a dysphemistic name, it is easy to incite a panic and villanize the entire genus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts