Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need an expert:

I have 7 red bellys in my 135 but I am having major issues. The tank is in the middle of my family room, a huge "traffic" area. I slowly added cover until about half the tank was plants for the piranha's but that was the problem. My piranhas would spend all day, and I mean all day just hiding and hiding. When company would come over they would go up to the tank and be like "oh wait I think I might.....is that one?" Basically they could never find them. I would tell them I was going to feed them but that everyone would need to stand like 15 feet away from the tank or the reds will not eat infront of them. I was finally fed up and went "Local Fish Store" on my piranhas and took all the cover out, ALL OF IT, only to uncover all kinds of rotted tiny little particles of beef floating around. Well the tank looks HUGE and great and has these 7 reds swimming around between 4-7" and all but everytime I approach the tank they freak out, they have slammed into the sides of the tank so hard they have gone belly up and I thought that I had, in away, killed them. Luckily they are all still alive. When I sit back and watch TV they will fight and scrap until I think for sure one of them is going to end up dead. So I go to the freezer and get my beef heart, and slowly tip-toe to the tank and slowwwllly open the lid and....BAM they scatter, I quickly drop the beef heart in, dive away unto the couch and peak up from behind the covers just to see them barely pick at the beef heart and then swim away and start fighting again. I stand up and want to reach in the tank and strangle every last one of them, as this is getting to be a crisis. I got desperate, I went to the fish store and bought....gulp....GOLD FISH...and put them in the tank, big gold fish, and they devoured them, of course while I was in the corner hiding, other wise they would be focused on hiding so much that they wouldn't eat until I left. It is a stand off, I tried to break my piranhas by only giving them 5-10 minutes to eat and then taking the beef out, as I should, I have tried hot dog, crab leg, sausage, you name it, I have tried it just out of desperation to get them to eat food instead of eachother. If I put plants in they will simply hide forever.

Tank Stats:
-125 gallon (72"x18"x25?")
-Water is crystal clear, with 3 75 gallon filters (almost double what is needed)
-To be honest I don't really do that many water changes but I assure you the fish are extremely active they fight and fight all day long.
-I have a 75 gallon heater in the middle of the tank that runs constantly but does manage to keep the tank on the opposite end at 76 degrees
-I don't have any cover right now, but I used to and honestly they are just as skittish but at least now EVERYONE can see them, and not just 1, all of them
-I go through with a net every day, once at night, and pick up any little particles I can, (obsessive) to make sure no tiny little piece of food is left to rot
-When I feed my piranhas I give them 10-15 minutes (because they are special) to eat, at which time I take the food out

THEY NEVER EAT

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
Spend as much time with your face to the glass. don't feed them for a few days. and get some garlic guard to scent the food with.

eventually the hunger and smell of the food will overcome their shyness. And over time they will get over being shy with you right there.

It just takes some time. The more you jump behind the couch and hide, the longer it will take them to adjust.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, I'm going to skip the attempt to feed them tonight, im going to go find garlic guard, no matter how far I must climb, walk, or run to get it, and tomorrow when I get home from work I'm going to walk up to that tank with my head up high open the tank almost briskly, drop in the food, plop myself down right there, face a foot from the glass and watch for 10 minutes, take out the net scoop up the food, and repeat that process everyday until they eat or kill eachother.(period)

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
well ur main problem is its in the middle of ur living room in a high traffic area. and try turning out the lights outside the tank and walk up to them.. i used to have to turn off my room lights to watch mine eat.. p's are mean but they are also trapped in a glass cube so ... it happens.. i would go with some cover though but not as much as you had but thats up to you.. try and find a happy medium.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Guys I am having the same EXACT problem. My piranhas wont eat either unless ALL the lights are off and they cant see me in front of the tank. I even tried wrapping electric tape around the bulb and keeping it really dim, turning off the room lights and then feeding them. They still hide in their little rock cave. i dont know what to do, I want them to be aggressive and hungry but they arent. Do you think when I get my 125 or 150 gallon for christmas they will be more aggressive if I put about 8 of them in there together? i dunno, I am going to try to the garlic guard thing also and see if that works.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
7 Reds in a 125 gallon tank is going to be too much after they exceed 8". The width of the tank is only 18".

What exactly is the size of your tank. In your text you say both 135 and 125 gallon, your signature says 135, but the measurements 72" x 18" x 25" = 139 gallons.

Anyway at that size, Reds may be skittish. Give them good shelter and continue to keep the traffic around the tank and they will get over with it.

Harry

·
Registered
775 Posts
Oh, Kyle, you said your tank was at 76 degrees? Try turning it up some to about 79 or 80... that might help a little.

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
yep. I missed the tank temp as well. turn it up a few deg. you'll be supprised how much diff it makes for activity.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did not think that 7 piranhas was pushing my luck to greatly for a tank with my footprint, obviously if they are all 10" it may get a little crowded but that is a ways off. Right now I have a 7" 3 5-6" and 3 4" so you are talking about a total of 36 inches in a tank that can support almost 70 inches. Either way I did have "the-little-heater-that-could" take the tank up to 80 degrees but I was worried it was going to keep going up and I am leaving town for a week soon and I didn't want them to fry.

NEW QUESTION!!!

I saw on another topic where they were debating how many times to feed the reds? I am considering going with a every-other-day approach. Is that a good idea? or even 3 times a week? or 2 times a week?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
a tank ur size the rule of thumb is 1 p to 20 gals.. so ur not much over and u should be ok. ,,

id go every other day thats what i like.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
OK....try to bump up your temp a little turn the lights out for a few hours and then turn them on for a few hours keep that going....dont feed for a few days then try to feed again with the lights off...and keep going the way you are with the food after 5 min pull it out....2days later do it again. slowly add a few plants but dont over do it like B4

and like said B4 keep your face aginst the glass all the time

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
first of all, you are feeding beefheart all of the time with goldfish?
not good.
a bare tank is a good thing to get them out of their shell, i have had tanks with plants,
rocks, wood etc. and now my tank is the same size and bare. reds are generaly skittish
shy fish who need things to pull them out of that.

a light timmer is one, feed 3 times a week till you get them on a schedule, insist on staying
in front of your tank while they eat and remove all uneaten food asap like 15 mins after hitting
the water........they will be trained after that.

your water maybe an issue, you had mentioned that you found a lot of bits and what not in the
covering after you removed them.........ammonia time!!!!!!! your fish are stressed and burned
i presume. you need to clean up after such a messy fish every time you feed them!!!!!!!!

they will leave presents for you under rocks, plants etc. thats why people have bare tanks
among other reasons. people have dimmed lights, i say naw........keep them on a light schedule
with a timmer, i have found that to be a good thing!!!!!! i have tried dimming, painting the bulbs
and i have come up with the conclusion that the more you treat the fish like fish and love em,
you will suceed at keeping them in good health and stop pulling out your hair!!!!!

good luck, Dennis

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow, I feel lucky now. My 5 reds eat infront of me no problem. They don't have a ton of cover, and we're always walking around the tank. The cats are also always back and forth.

Mine eat within seconds of dropping anything in, and since I've electrical taped my light (its at like 2/10th of its normal brightness), they don't have an issue with it being on.

Mine are still young, though ^^

·
my sister is #1 best prostitute
10,514 Posts
personally i wouldnt consider this a "problem" its part of owning P's there not uber active and for the most part are skittish there not angle fish or oscars..

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
High Traffic is good.
Take out some plants.
Give them less hiding spots.
They'll come around.
*Best advice so far* Period.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts