Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
if i had 9 Reds and one Caribe all pretty much within the same size. Reds being a tad more bigger by half an inch?

Lasttime my reds had a Caribe in their tank it lasted a week and within the 8th day the caribe ate two reds. Only issue was the caribe was triple the size which i wanted to try out. Now I'm willing to try this again but wondering if other Red/Caribe keepers have trouble keeping both together?

PS: I'v already started thinning out my reds. Don't know why since they never fight hehe

·
Registered
775 Posts
How big is the tank? There are alot of people on here that have successfully mixed the two

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
based on your sign..you got 9 red in 120g..wow!..that is a lot (for me it does)..that is the reason why you lose 2 red the last time because caribe is one of the more territorial pygo, caribe need roon and space for them self.

If they are within the same size it should be good, piranha do good as a group but keep your temp low 76-78f because your over crowed the tank. It may not look crowed but sure it is, and it may stunt it grow as well.

Good Luck

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
It's hard to say because everybody could have a different experience and outcome, but it is likely that the cariba would run the tank. They are overall a more aggressive and territorial species of piranha than reds.
~Taylor~

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
It's hard to say because everybody could have a different experience and outcome, but it is likely that the cariba would run the tank. They are overall a more aggressive and territorial species of piranha than reds.
~Taylor~
X2

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
the caribe are more territorial and will fight more than reds, however, it
all depends on the fish and how much room you have for them.

i have 7 in a 125g and its a LITTLE crowded for them as it is.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
the caribe are more territorial and will fight more than reds, however, it
all depends on the fish and how much room you have for them.

i have 7 in a 125g and its a LITTLE crowded for them as it is.
totally agree'd...caribe arnt scared of nothing, solid fish those guys are...but caribe would def be more dominante

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
They should be able to co-hab since there in the same genus.

depending on their personalities will judge the way they act...Nut in general they caiba will most likely be more dominent, but there would be a lot of territory problem if you are planning to keep 10 fish in a 125g

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
The reason you lost the reds last time is most likely do to the size differance between them. I would thin your reds a little. Take a couple out. It can be done, but if you don't have alot of experiance, you may lose a few reds. Just make sure you drop your temp and keep them well fed. You may want to go with the ole' bare tank, because cariba are pretty territorial.

I have pulled off my mix tank so far with all the fish in my sig. Will thin as they get larger, but wanted to have atleast 2 of each to determine which were the best growers, color, behavior, etc. I think I have seen a total of 2 fin nips in 2 months, but that isn't anything to worry about. And I have all types of pygos.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
The reason you lost the reds last time is most likely do to the size differance between them. I would thin your reds a little. Take a couple out. It can be done, but if you don't have alot of experiance, you may lose a few reds. Just make sure you drop your temp and keep them well fed. You may want to go with the ole' bare tank, because cariba are pretty territorial.

I have pulled off my mix tank so far with all the fish in my sig. Will thin as they get larger, but wanted to have atleast 2 of each to determine which were the best growers, color, behavior, etc. I think I have seen a total of 2 fin nips in 2 months, but that isn't anything to worry about. And I have all types of pygos.
thats nuts...that must cost a big buck to have all those guys well fed...you seem pretty dedicated to your fish...good job

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have 9 mixed pygos in my 125 without many problems. I've had a few battles over time and one major injury when my small tern got too close to the spawning nest (huge belly bite, but survived). When I added my 11" cariba, which I no longer own, he almost killed everything. So, he was out quick. Then my big tern ran the tank, which died. Then I got a 7.5" Caribe, he ran the tank until I got my 10" piraya and my breeder reds which are bigger. Now the caribe tries to push the others around but ends up with the most battle wounds (fin and small body bites). None of them mess with my big piraya, but all the others scuffle here and there. Just gotta watch them on the regular and keep your temp around 77 - 78. Also, when I see alot of aggression building up, I do a 25% water change and that normally calms things down.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I have 9 mixed pygos in my 125 without many problems. I've had a few battles over time and one major injury when my small tern got too close to the spawning nest (huge belly bite, but survived). When I added my 11" cariba, which I no longer own, he almost killed everything. So, he was out quick. Then my big tern ran the tank, which died. Then I got a 7.5" Caribe, he ran the tank until I got my 10" piraya and my breeder reds which are bigger. Now the caribe tries to push the others around but ends up with the most battle wounds (fin and small body bites). None of them mess with my big piraya, but all the others scuffle here and there. Just gotta watch them on the regular and keep your temp around 77 - 78. Also, when I see alot of aggression building up, I do a 25% water change and that normally calms things down.
neat to know, my tanks at like 83 right now, barely any fighting at all, i seldomly see it....heat rised to help growth with they;re new shrimp diet

1 - 12 of 12 Posts