how do you filter your salt tank

• naturally (includes skimmer only)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • power filters and/or wetdry's

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,081 Posts
just wondering how many other people let nature do the work on the saltwater tanks other than my skimmer, a bag of carbon i have no filtration on my reef tank and it has been running quite well for about 4months now i have kept the bioload fiarly low but i do have a quite a few corals and lots of clean up crew but most of my filtration comes from the live rock and macro algae i have growing

· Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jonscilz said:
how well does no filtration work anyways?
[snapback]855555[/snapback]​
my levels are all perfect and my water is crystal clear so its werking quite well there are a lot of people out there that run the berlin method or a modified version of it and some have been running it for a long time without problems

i should mention that the natural form of filtration isn't suitable for fish only tanks it leans more towrds reefkeeping

· Registered
21 Posts
i myself run a saltwater reef tank with no filtration other than a skimmer i have a deep sand bed in the main tank with a bunch of live rock and coral also in the sump below i have a deep sand bed planted with calerpa and in that tank i have 2 sea horses, a couple of snails, a few hermit craps, and a brittle star just to clean up the little bit of fish waste that is produced and may float in and its been workin abosolutely fine on the sump i have lights that are on 24/7 it makes it so the ph does not change becuse ussally at night ur ph will drop when the corals and plants are not photosynthesising i use a Euro Reef skimmer i highly recomend this brand there guite exspensive but work great this tank has been set up for about 2years after the first 6months i started to eleminate the filtration

· Registered
83 Posts
i dont use filtration at all i do have a skimmer and a bit of fine floss just to pick out the large sh*t and thats only a wafe thin bit but i have had nothing go wrong with my tank for over a year i have never done a water change and all my levels are perfect mind you i only have 1 fish my lion but he has bee dead happy and so have my corals i have even propergated them and added home made live rock that i made myself

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.