Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:smile: Are they really that much better than canister filters like the Fluval 404's etc? It seems like alot of hard work and more mess with wires and tubes etc that a normal external 404. As im new to this
im just wondering if its worth doing. I have a 65g tank but in the next two months i will be getting my 110g tank and am wondering if I should do this or just buy another fluval or equivelant.

anyway let me know the pros and cons and why you lot opted for them in the first place.

Thanks

T

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
because they are cool and everyone else has one. J/K they are the best types of filters for your fish i had a emp. 400 for a long time then i went to a ehiem 2213 canister filter and now with my new 125gal tank i went to a wet/dry. they hold things called bio-balls that hold bacteria that make for a healthy aquarium. they are low maint. and hold a lot of water. the only bad thing is if you dont have the overflows set-up right if you loose power the water will drain back into the wet/dry and can cause a flood but if you set it up right you wil not have this problem. all-in-all im happy so far with my wet/dry i think its the way to go if you want to see how the plumbing goes check out this web sight.
wet/dry filter

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Wet dry filters are by far superior to canister filters. They are considered by most, the most effecient way to keep the tank in prestine shape. LFS, more times then not even rely on huge wet/dry systems to filter their tanks. There is no topping the biological filtration possible with a wet/dry. Given they do have some drawbacks, such as flooding if not set up properly. However if you take the time to set it up right, it will keep your tank in the best condition possible. Usually with bigger tanks (100+) you want to at least consider the possibility of getting a wet/dry.

~Dj

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Isinuasian is right, Plus with a big tank like a 190 i would need 2-3 fluvals running. The electric bills alone would kill you. It did for me thats why i only have one tank now

1 - 4 of 4 Posts