Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sand and Rock

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got to go get my substrate soon for my 180 gallon. Which would you pick and why? Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
I love the look of tanks with black sand, they look so smooth. If I could find cheap black sand it would be a no brainer for me, until then its playsand

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
I'm just getting back into the piranha hobby after a year off, and I'm redoing my 150 gallon from the ground up.
I just painted the back black, and ordered 140 pounds of Tahitian Moon Black Sand.
I'm stoked to try it out... I think a black back with Tahitian Moon will be total kickass.

Therefore, I voted for "Black sand."

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
Call your local fish stores and ask them if they can get enough for you, it'll be cheaper than you ordering it online... 'cause once you pay the online shipping you're looking at an astronomical price!
(Expensive enough as it is!)

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
Wasn't this just a thread?

·
DYNOMITE!
6,671 Posts
I'd save 150$$ and get Soilmaster Select 'Charcoal.'

It's black, and cheap

·
Banned
4,315 Posts
I'd save 150$$ and get Soilmaster Select 'Charcoal.'

It's black, and cheap
I'll second that! If you like the look of natural sand better, go with the regular Soilmaster Select.

I prefer the charcoal, but I just found out that 1 of the 2 bags I picked up a few weeks ago wasn't charcoal.
Problem is, I already tore down my sanchezi's 36 bow and am in the middle of setting up a 65g...I can't wait 2 weeks for another bag of charcoal so I'm going to see how this turns out (sanchezi and plants will only be happy for so long in an 18gal container.

I'll post pics of my freshly set up 40g with charcoal and the 65g with normal this weekend so you can compare.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That Soilmaster select charcoal sounds like a plan to me. I need to see some pics of that
And I am sure there are a ton of threads just like this one...but its not mine

·
Banned
4,315 Posts
That Soilmaster select charcoal sounds like a plan to me. I need to see some pics of that
And I am sure there are a ton of threads just like this one...but its not mine :rasp:
Here is an older pic of my 75g at home with the charcoal Soilmaster, and then 2 older pics of my 75g at school with the charcoal Soilmaster (one is a closer shot so you can see the texture better):

Plant Pet supply Terrestrial plant Rectangle Aquatic plant

Plant Water Pet supply Fish supply Organism

Plant Water Botany Vegetation Terrestrial plant

Attachments

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
I was about to vote for the river rock. but Soilmaster is a much better choice. especially since you were considering planting.

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
he could.but either way even if plants are not in the plan the soil master will look great and be alot cheaper then buying a bunch of river rock unless he can get small stuff form a rock yard.

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
The soilmaster doesn't look as black as the Tahitian Moon...
Tahitian Moon is jet black.

·
Banned
4,315 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts