Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up my 38 gal for now will update down the road. What type of piranha should I get. Help me THINKING of small piraya or small rhom.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
i dont think that anyone will be surprised wiht my post here but i say go with a irritan. cant go wrong there. they r awsome fish. also u wont have to upgrade as fast with one. i think george at shark aq might still have 2.5'' ones.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,504 Posts
For such a small tank, i would definately go for a Serrasalmus specie. A lone Pygo wouldn't be as happy if not in a shoal, but its not unusual. Start off with a baby Serra, that way it'll give you time to upgrade later down the line, plus would have the honor of seeing it grow. :thubmup:

·
This f*cking Guy!
9,420 Posts
shoe997bed263 said:
i dont think that anyone will be surprised wiht my post here but i say go with a irritan. cant go wrong there. they r awsome fish. also u wont have to upgrade as fast with one. i think george at shark aq might still have 2.5'' ones.
[snapback]901917[/snapback]​
Good post.
Irritan are nice Too. Especially Dr. Greens

They dont get too big, there Awesome looking and are Aggressive.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
piranhapat said:
THINKING of small piraya or small rhom.
[snapback]901907[/snapback]​
Piraya definitely not going to work. A small rhom would be alright, but your best bet would be something that is active but stays relatively small, like an irritan.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
You have a few choices. You can get an irritan and have it stay small and keep it in there for a long time.

Or you can get a Rhom if you are going to upgrade down the road and be able to watch it grow. That is what I am currently doing with mine.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
jiaguy said:
HUh i though pygos don't even shoal in nature I don't think they would be upset if they are kept solitary....
[snapback]902387[/snapback]​
They don't shoal in the literal sense indeed, but that doesn't mean they don't live in large groups in the wild.
A pack provides strength in numbers, both for protection against predators and for overpowering animals they'd never be able to take down alone.
Living in a group is their nature - keeping one alone goes against that, and most likely that will be very visible in a home aquarium (ie. shy, nervous and skittish fish).

As far as the 38g goes: what are the dimensions? In order to keep one of the smaller species of Serrasalmus in there (Irritans, Sanchezi), it should be at least 3ft long and 14-16" deep - if not, upgrading will be inevitable eventually, no matter what species you choose.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Definately get a serra. No matter what, i think you will have to upgrade down the road(1-2 years).

IMO irritans are mean as hell, and they don't get much bigger then 6in. Rhoms are also really cool.

·
"Bruce Lee" the Legend
5,194 Posts
You won't be disappointed with a gold spilo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts