Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at petsmart to get a flora-glo light and they didn't have any that would fit my hood. I saw that they had another light, I forgot the color of it, but it was brighter and still said that it would be good for plants.

Is the flora-glo really the absolute best light for my plants? Thanks ahead of time guys.

·
DYNOMITE!
6,671 Posts
I was at petsmart to get a flora-glo light and they didn't have any that would fit my hood. I saw that they had another light, I forgot the color of it, but it was brighter and still said that it would be good for plants.

Is the flora-glo really the absolute best light for my plants? Thanks ahead of time guys.
Those lights sold at petsmart are not worth it at all. I, personally, would never consider purchasing those bulbs ever.
If I was just looking for a replacement bulb for a regular tank hood, I would go to Home Depot, and get a 5000k-10000k bulb (I prefer the 5000k-6500k ones there)
They are about $15-$20 cheaper, and better for plants.
If you want more light, you want to get into a replacement fixture, and not a replacement bulb, if you ask me. On my medium light tank, I have 2 2X40w T12 shop lights over it from Home Depot.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Those lights sold at petsmart are not worth it at all. I, personally, would never consider purchasing those bulbs ever.
If I was just looking for a replacement bulb for a regular tank hood, I would go to Home Depot, and get a 5000k-10000k bulb (I prefer the 5000k-6500k ones there)
They are about $15-$20 cheaper, and better for plants.
If you want more light, you want to get into a replacement fixture, and not a replacement bulb, if you ask me. On my medium light tank, I have 2 2X40w T12 shop lights over it from Home Depot.
Me, I have also tried a wide variety of different bulbs. I really should not have done it.
The thing is just what DiPpY says, a regular bright white light of 5.000-7.000 K is best and cheapest.
If one wants more growing power, the thing to do is adding more bulbs, always up to 2-3 wpg and a pressurized CO2 system. Mostly it is the CO2 that is scarce in the tank.

Harry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.