Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Domestic Reds or Wild Reds?

I was thinking about getting some and wanted know if the wild kind were worth the extra money?
Who has had both that way you can compare them?

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Wild reds are on average, a bit more colorful.

~Dj

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
I was thinking about getting some and wanted know if the wild kind were worth the extra money?
Completely agree, they are worth the extra money and as stated by Insuasian quite pretty in color.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I havent ever had wild Natts, but can attest to the results of inbred domestic Nattereri, they begin to look like something else. Wild Natts tend to be better colored, and I hear they are more aggressive

·
Registered
834 Posts
Is there anyway to tell between the two types. I had purchase two natts from a pet store and they lack the color of my original ones i bought as babies, its really easy to tell which ones have the better coloring. Just wondering if i might have got luckly and god wild ones on the first batch. (will post pictures soon)

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
iIf your willing to spend the little extra for wild reds. Go for cariba's.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Agreed. Go with cariba if you can get them.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
The guy I got my reds off of was trying to tell me that he got them shipped from the wild when they were dime sized. I told him that I find that very unlikely. I first saw them when they were 2.5-3 inches and they are very colorful, but I still think he's full of poop. I would go for wild reds if I was actually going to purchase any.

Joe

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Is there anyway to tell between the two types.
I have kept wild piranas from several localities and no way to tell differences unless adult. Field researcher Paulo Petry has an amazing ability to pick them out quite easily based on morphology, but limited to adults as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts