·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a fire eel but I like the tyre also so help me choose

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
fire eel all the way ..if you have the space..

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
the great things about eels is they don't need as much space as other fish with their length, as they curl up into balls.

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
once I get my new tank I will get one hehehehe hahahaha

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice since I am an animal lover I don't think I would ever feed it small dogs lol and you would have to have a huge tank for that. lol nice thought though

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
jabster said:
A green moray. I think they only get a little over 10' long :D You could feed it small dogs!
alantic green moray..mean sumbitch..i have a scar on my finger from a one footer...there mean,huge and they carry a mean price tag..

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
jabster said:
A green moray. I think they only get a little over 10' long :D You could feed it small dogs!
good idea, pcrose is currently trying to decide what type of eel to replace her moray, and you suggest a huge-ass saltwater morey?

G

·
There both good eels. I have a tire track eel that's about 10"-11" long. The only drawbacks to keeping these spiney eels is their finicky eating habits and their ability to slither out of the aquarium. I woke up once in the middle of the night to find my eel on my living room floor, presumably attempting to crawl back to India.

During the winter, I have to buy live blackworms for my eel because he stopped eating frozen food.

Right now, the eel does some strange stuff like crawling out of the tank and climbing into the Aquaclear filter on his tank. He then peers out the spout and watches what's going on in the room. Sometimes he pulls down the plastic box that holds the sponge and slithers into the motor compartment. The other night I heard him hit the impellar of the motor: ERRR-R-R-R-R-R!! He didn't get hurt, yet.

Tire track eels seem to be more common and less expensive than fire eels. I can't remember exactly, but I think I paid $7.00 for my eel at the Shark Aquarium.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
piranha45 said:
I dont see what's so cool about fire eels as opposed to tyre track eels..
well they are both cool

Fire eel

Tyre-Track eel

·
Registered
996 Posts
a tire track eel was my first fish
i had him in my 29 gallon for like 2 years
he was real finicky eater and my dad would use to have to wiggle shrimp in fornt of him to entyvce him to eat but i bel;ieve there metabolisim is slower cuz they dont swim around alot and there very cureous and i realy cant bring myself to 35 dollars more for a firew track eel at my LFS

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
i would say ether a fire eel because of more color and also nicer

but i would get a peacock eel if they didnt have a fire eel cause i just think they are the shiz but, i think they are hard to get to eat dead food

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
sweet lu said:
i would say ether a fire eel because of more color and also nicer

but i would get a peacock eel if they didnt have a fire eel cause i just think they are the shiz but, i think they are hard to get to eat dead food
peacock eels are not just hard to get eating dried/dead foods, they are just fussyer than other eels I have come across, they have prooven to me as hard to keep.
my 2 eels posted above though are great, the tyre-track one is more active, but the fire one is friendly to small fish like neon tetras where the tyre-track is not, it even took down an angelfish once, and would chase the fire eel about.
as far as the price went:
fire eel = £30 @12"
tyre-track eel = £8 @ 10"

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
sweet lu said:
yeah, that is what i ment man

fire eels always seem bigger and more expensive when sold
peacock eels are a much smaller species

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
well even though this is a really old thread, and pcrose has gotten new fishes I still think the electric eel idea is funny

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.