Piranhas Forum banner

which canister should i buy

306 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  DannyBoy17 
#1 ·
i have a 50 gal tank, with a emp 400 filter, but i wanna buy a canister filter , which should i buy..............rena xp2, xp3 , or one of the 2 smaller eheim clasic canister filters ?

#5 ·
Im partial to Eheim. I have a bunch of them and they have never given me any problems.
Also...Canisters are better at bio-filtration then power filters because of the amount of bio-media they can hold to house bacteria.... and power filters are better at mechanical filtration then canisters because of the high turnover or volume of water they can pass through a sponge...so having both on a tank is better then just one kind.

G
#14 ·
Guys...Im not downgrading the filter :laugh:

It is just when I think about the idea of a canister filter...I think of it more in the traditional sense....like an Eheim, Fluval....that kind of thing. I would view the magnum a hybrid between an emp440 and the mechanical filter out of a modular filtration system.
Very true.

Go with the new Ehiem Ecco...get the largest one rated for 60g. I hear they are brilliant little filters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.