Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a canister filter to run in my sump for my 140 gallon tank. I am not worried about the gph since it will be pumping the water into the sump and not the tank. I have to rio pumps pumping the water into the tank. I just want a canister that has good biological filtration for my tank. I was thinking of getting a fluval 404. What do you guys think?

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Ehiems do because more media. The filstars have just as much media as the fluvals. If you go cheap they are about the same at media wise. But fluvals have the name of "Going to be around for a long time" Plus their parts and replacement pads are everywhere.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I don't know about the other brands, since I don't use them, but Eheims indeed have a very large media container (even the smallest type can contain several liters of filter media).
I also heard they do a great job on biofiltration because it's not about raw power (amount of gallons per hour) - in comparison to many other brands, they don't do that much gph, having water flowing over the filter media rather slowly, giving the bacteria more chance to do 'their thing' with the water...

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
My FilStar works wonders for my 125 gal alone
Depending on which models your comparing, I would also go for the expensive Eheim. Just dont get the Pro II models with built in wet/dry.. way overpriced, doesnt meet wet/dry standards, and for its price, you might as well get a real wet/dry. All in all, if on a budget but want reliability, get yourself a FilStar instead of FluVals

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.