Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had 4 piranhas that I got as babies about 2 months ago. They are about 2.5 to 3 inches in length. I have them in a 30 gallon tank. I just recently got a 125 gal tank. It is almost all cycled and I have 10 baby (.5 to 1 inch) p's in it. I am wondering when it will be safe to introduce the 4 bigger guys in with 10 babies? Right now in either tank if I add any fish at all they attack like crazy. I added a danio and the babies chased it till they got tired. Basically I don't want to add my larger p's and have them kill all of the babies. thanks for the help.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,504 Posts
.5-1" would just look like snacks to your bigger ones and would definately see a reduction from time to time. When bigger, 3-5 size differencials can be successfull. But your talking about baby Ps which are in their most active and hungier stage of their lives.. Its a risk that would go to waste.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I agree with Rhomzilla, at that age pygos are significantly more inclined to be cannibalistic.

Considering how fast your rb's should grow to around 6" (where the growth will slow), you can wait a little longer for the smaller p's to grow to about 3"-4" and then try combining the two.

My only suggestion is that make sure you have lots of hiding spots when you put them together, and also add the bigger ones to the aquarium that the smaller ones have already been in.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Lastly make sure you redecorate your tank before adding new fish. This way no territorial disputes will occur.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool thanks a lot guys. I had suspected that, but it is nice to hear it from others. Thanks again

·
Registered
579 Posts
I'm in almost the same situation:

I have three 2-2.5" in a 30gallon right now, but I just got a 132gallon tank.
And I want to have like 5 or 6 in the new tank. But if I'm gonna buy new rbp's, they'll be like only 1".
So I wonder, would it work to put two more 1" in together with three 2-2,5" in the 132 gallon? Or will they get eaten?

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
even though the size difference doesn't seem to great for a 1" to a 2.5", at that size they are far more likely to canabalize one another. I would say that is rather risky. you'd be safer to keep them seperate until the 1" fellas were around 3" and the others were around 4-4.5".

·
Registered
579 Posts
What if I always have feeders in the tank? Like, won't they go first for the feeders, before they go cannibalizing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts