Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 1 6" red and 6 2.5-3" reds divided in a 90g tank. i know to remove all the fish, rearange, turn the temp down, and leave the lights off when i introduce them together, but what size should i do this at? the smaller ones seem a bit to small still. suggestions?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
i have 1 6" red and 6 2.5-3" reds divided in a 90g tank. i know to remove all the fish, rearange, turn the temp down, and leave the lights off when i introduce them together, but what size should i do this at? the smaller ones seem a bit to small still. suggestions?
let the smaller reds grow til about 3-3 1/2 for sure...then you could do it...my buddy had his caribe (bout 5") in with an almost 9-10" red...nothing happened...i had a 6" red in with some 4"'ers....nothing happened, it was like almost if the big guy took the smallers under his "gil" as like a parent...could even try it right now man if you feel that they would be alright, if anything happens put the divider back in and wait til they grow a bit more

·
Is a Boss.
4,236 Posts
the little guys will probably get to 4" before the big guy gets too much bigger, i would just wait till then.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
all good info guys just like said the big guy wont grow as fast as tho small guys so id wait a couple weeks man if you feed thos little guys alot it wont take long at all.

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
the small will grow slow..why? because now you have 7 reds in 90g with a divider...it will stunt the grow from the little guy.....I suggest you get a 30g-40g and put 1 big red in there, and wait untill the little in 90g grown up with in the same size..pygo can grow very fast depending how you raise them. but on the other hands 6 red in 90g are still crowed. you need 125g or bigger for that. but this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
the small will grow slow..why? because now you have 7 reds in 90g with a divider...it will stunt the grow from the little guy.....I suggest you get a 30g-40g and put 1 big red in there, and wait untill the little in 90g grown up with in the same size..pygo can grow very fast depending how you raise them. but on the other hands 6 red in 90g are still crowed. you need 125g or bigger for that. but this is just my opinion.
thats a pretty good response too...in a 125 you should only have 5-6 full grown reds in there so they would have a proper non squished environment. maybe in the future downsize a couple

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well last night i got out the tape measure the smaller ones are 4" and the large one is 5.5"but about 3x the body mass. i turned the temp down to 76f, removed the large rb this morning and rearanged, then reintroduced the large rb. the lights are off. it has been a couple hours now and all seems well despite some light chasing they all seem to be adapting nicely. i know my 90g is too small for life and am upgrading to 125 soon, maybe more, but for now it works. wish me luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts