Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trimming some of my plants in my tank today and I noticed one of my red bellies just swimming around leisurely by my hand. Usually when I stick my hand in the tank to fix a plant/redistribute substrate/clean the trap on the filter, my red bellies usually just hide in their cave or deep in the plants that I have, but today I guess one of them just didn't feel like hiding, so he just swam around my arm like it was nothing. I didn't notice him until I was already done and yanked my hand out right quick. My guys are still only babies (barely breaking the 2" mark), but when they get bigger, I'm sure they're going to get ballsier and may try to bite me. When should I start worrying about this?

Have any of you guys had any experiences with your piranha going for your digits while cleaning? I saw that picture of one of the members here that got bit, and it looked really gnarly. I'm way too much of a sissy to stand getting bit (especially as bad as that guy did), and would really like avoiding something like this happening, but if it's not that big of a concern, hearing validation from you guys would be most appreciated.

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
sound like you got aggressive territorial piranha...that is good thing.

the only thing you can do is keep your eyes on them every time you put your hands in there.

Another way is lower the temp down about an hour before you clean or put your hand in there....lower the temp will lower thier aggression down.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I make sure I feed my p's before I put my hands in the tank. my reds are good at sitting on the other side when I am in there. as for my rohm goulding and my previous elong I wont put my hands in there at all I have my hose mounted to a stick so I can get in there. my old elong before he died took a chunck out of my pinky finger nail. luckly he was just alittle slower getting to me then I was at getting it out.

but you cant tell by how big they are weather you can put your hands in with them. my reds are 10"+ and I dont worry too much about it.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
that person that got bit dropped his p and when he went to catch it or break its fall it got him if i remember right. anyways so far i kno of no1 getting attacked while there hand was in the tank. but there is always a chance just b careful

·
LionHart
13,099 Posts
The big thing to be careful of is when removing them from the tank.
I still have to always tell myself "Don't hold your hand under the net to support the fish!"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.