Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told by a few lfs employees that piranha do not school. I have seen countless pics here on P-fury that show other wise. My question is that what is the difference between shoaling and schooling? Is the word shoaling only used with piranha because of their behavior? I am guessing a "school" would describe small tetras or a similar fish. Am I correct?

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
They mean the same thing. My experience is that piranhas dont shoal like a true shoalling fish, they pretty much co-exist. The only time my piranhas really huddle together is when I am messing in the tank, otherwise they have their own spots.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Shoal=School. It means the same.

You can shoal any Pygo species (Nattereri -Red, Green or Yellow-, Cariba, Piraya) and some Serras (usually Geryis and Spilos and sometimes other Serras)!

·
Beautiful One
8,798 Posts
It really depends on the fish some like to be inceprable others have their spots or even do both.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
marscounty said:
I have been told by a few lfs employees that piranha do not school. I have seen countless pics here on P-fury that show other wise. My question is that what is the difference between shoaling and schooling? Is the word shoaling only used with piranha because of their behavior? I am guessing a "school" would describe small tetras or a similar fish. Am I correct?

They mean the same thing and your local LFS person is an idiot.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The lady I bought my first P from said that I would need at least a 180 to have exactly 2 piranhas. It's the same all over man, they lose all credibility as soon as they get that nametag, just wait, Insinuation is next!!! hahahahaha jk!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
An LFS unless they major in piranha like Ron or George know little to nothing about piranha except what they gather from outdated books or word of mouth or simply making sh*t up. Take what they say with a grain of salt and like others said...come back here to find out the "real" truth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.