Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My P's have had this white filmy kinda stuff on them for about 6 months. Ive lost some P's to it already and nothing seems to help so ive just let them live with it, which they seem to have been doing fine until recently one of them had the stuff more than the others and it started to grow more on him. I need to know what this is and how to treat it. heres some pics.
View attachment 128260

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
6 months!!
My fish had that everytime I did water changes cause it had an ammonia spike.How many times do you change your water.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just tested the ammonia, its zero

i thought that this was permanant scarring due to high levels of ammonia, but apparantly its not because it is progressing on one of the fish right now.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ph is 7 nitrates is zero and i'm checking nitirtes right now

nitrites is zero also

i'm guessing this is ammonia burn that is uncurable

·
5,336 Posts
if you have 0 nitrates and nitrites... did you cycle your tank first? what declor do you use when you change water... it could be chlorine burns, or any chemical found in your tap water, not just ammonia

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i do not use declorinator because my water comes from a well and has no chemicals in it. it is pure clean water. there is no flouride in my water either. its pretty much distilled water. when i first got the tank and put the P's in i did not cycle my tank first so they got ammonia burn. and it never went away or seemed to hinder them until 2 died (others ate them when they were weakened from ammonia burn) and thats it. so they have just had this forever pretty much, because i could never make it go away.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it is not rotting away it is covering the scales, it make them not look shiny when you look at them, it looks like un-shiny patches covering fish.

i think it may be ammonia burn scarring?

I know that i screwed up when i first got them but i want to fix whats messed up now.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
it is not rotting away it is covering the scales, it make them not look shiny when you look at them, it looks like un-shiny patches covering fish.

i think it may be ammonia burn scarring?
Usually a healthy fish will heal and look pretty normal. Yours don't look healthy or healing normally. I think its a fungal or bacterial infection. What kind? I have no idea. Hopefully someone with some experience with this type of stuff will chime in. Good luck.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have tried salt and raising the temp. and melafix or pimafix, one of the 2, and ive tried anti fungus tablets, which actually did work when i first got them but then it came back and the anti fungal tablets did not work again.

so it could be a bacteria/fungus that has adapted to the anti fungus tablets.

so it could be a bacteria/fungus that has adapted to the anti fungus tablets.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Dude, that looks like ammonia burn.. Make sure your test kit is good, maybe get another kit and retest the water to be safe.

R.T.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
i didnt see the pic very good, are thier eyes hazed over?

i wouldnt trust well water without prime or declore!!!!!!!!!!
well water needs to be treated at least once a year or you get stagnate water,
so yes there are chemicals in your water!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts