Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
There are only so many P's that have been able to be kept in a group.

Natts (yellow and red)
Caribe
Piraya
Spilos ( gold and cf)
Geryi

A few other species have been put together, such as rhoms, however most of the time it is unsuccessful.

~Dj

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
the ones thats after u and ur bleeding lol

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
From my experience the top three meanest overall best shoal has to be:

1st choice: Geryi
2nd choice: Terns
3rd choice: Cariba (Never had a shoal but had experience with them)

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
All of the Serrsalmus shoals are much more violent and angry then pygocentrus shoals where most of the fish are team players. Its comparing a pro football team to a bunch of convicts playing prison football.... They just dont value life in the same way

·
Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
18,670 Posts
i still thinkthe meanist p's is one that hasent eatin in a couple of days
doesent matter what species

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
BDKing57 said:
All of the Serrsalmus shoals are much more violent and angry then pygocentrus shoals where most of the fish are team players. Its comparing a pro football team to a bunch of convicts playing prison football.... They just dont value life in the same way
I would have to disagree there. Having experience with many Serrasalmus and Pygocentrus speices, Serrasalmus are just a tad more agressive i would say just because they like to be by themselves. Pygocentrus are not really team players at all if you observe. They are just opertunist(greddy ones too may i add). In a way they are smarter because once they see a fellow piranha lach on to a prey they will jump in for an easy kill unlike Serrsalmus. Although with my Geryi shoal i do see some features they present like Pygocentrus. I seen a Geryi kill a feeder then i see another one come up and take it out of their mouth much like what Pygocentrus do. So their isnt any real mean shoal sort of say. But according to my experiences those are how i rate them.

I would also like to note that, its to my blieveing that a Pygocentrus can take on any other Serrasalmus beside the Rhom,Elong,and maybe a Brandtii because i never had one. Its pretty much fair game in my book. Also with an example, i threw in a RD with my shoal of Geryi and the Geryi had the upper hand in the begging because the RD had to geg use to the tank. The next day the RD ran the tank. So i took out the RD and shoved it with a single Tern and what happen was that they started fighting from the first minute they were both in the tank. Even with a divider the Tern and RD still go at it and the Tern is 2" smaller. That comes to conclude, there is no real answer which speices is more agressive. But it is to safe to say that Serrasalmus are more territorial which may give the notion they are more agressive just because they want more space. Lastly, on agression, Pygocentrus shoal tend to hit bigger live food better/faster than Serrasalmus. Show who got more balls

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm still waiting for something to put in the water to make them meaner

Like blood on a hurt animal with sharks

Something to make them go nuts

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
SonicDark said:
I'm still waiting for something to put in the water to make them meaner

Like blood on a hurt animal with sharks

Something to make them go nuts
Wait until they get larger and you will get a frenzi no matter what you toss in for food.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
o snap its eric said:
BDKing57 said:
I would have to disagree there. Having experience with many Serrasalmus and Pygocentrus speices, Serrasalmus are just a tad more agressive i would say just because they like to be by themselves. Pygocentrus are not really team players at all if you observe. They are just opertunist(greddy ones too may i add). In a way they are smarter because once they see a fellow piranha lach on to a prey they will jump in for an easy kill unlike Serrsalmus. Although with my Geryi shoal i do see some features they present like Pygocentrus. I seen a Geryi kill a feeder then i see another one come up and take it out of their mouth much like what Pygocentrus do. So their isnt any real mean shoal sort of say. But according to my experiences those are how i rate them.

I would also like to note that, its to my blieveing that a Pygocentrus can take on any other Serrasalmus beside the Rhom,Elong,and maybe a Brandtii because i never had one. Its pretty much fair game in my book. Also with an example, i threw in a RD with my shoal of Geryi and the Geryi had the upper hand in the begging because the RD had to geg use to the tank. The next day the RD ran the tank. So i took out the RD and shoved it with a single Tern and what happen was that they started fighting from the first minute they were both in the tank. Even with a divider the Tern and RD still go at it and the Tern is 2" smaller. That comes to conclude, there is no real answer which speices is more agressive. But it is to safe to say that Serrasalmus are more territorial which may give the notion they are more agressive just because they want more space. Lastly, on agression, Pygocentrus shoal tend to hit bigger live food better/faster than Serrasalmus. Show who got more balls
I agree, good post. I have had a couple of serra species also(gold and rhom). And I havent seen one that hit their food as hard as my pygo's. There are differences in both. But to the point to say that they are tougher no. If that was the case they would be no pygo's only serra's or vise versa.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Caribas or Geryi!

·
Registered
205 Posts
The most aggressive piranha would be the rhom. It doesnt like another fish in the same tank has it. The other species i would say would be the brandti. A piranha that isnt shy at a small size. It is a rare fish coming from the same river has the pyocentrus piraya.

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
Um, i dont know if you owned a rhom before but their agressiveness is very limited. Again as my post above explains that there isnt a real answer to this. Did you know out of all the piranhas out there only 3 speices are known dangerous to man. Guess what they are? Rhom? Nopes. Brandti? Nopes. Natts? Yes. Cariba? Yes. Piraya? Yes. Now with that said, how can a Rhom or a Brandti be more agressive than pygos when pygos are known to be dangerous to man? But! then again, a Rhom may take down a pygo in a fight. But Rhoms again arent dangerous to man. So think about it, how can you say Rhoms and Brandtii are most agressive when they arent classified as a human threat while pygos are. Then think about this, how come rhoms can probally take down pygos but not labeled dangerous to man. Boggles the mind man. THERE IS NO DEFINATE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I've never experienced piraya first hand but hearing stories of it being the most feared piranha by the locals of Brazil that has to say a lot. In the wild they can reach up to 20" TL or more and from what I've heard in the aquarium they are pretty brutal as well...this is all second hand knowledge so I cannot say from experience but rather what I hear. After I get some caribe I'm gonna buy a 240 gallon acrylic and buy myself a shoal of piraya to see first hand.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
rosecityrhom Posted on Jun 3 2003, 05:24 AM ......I've never experienced piraya first hand but hearing stories of it being the most feared piranha by the locals of Brazil that has to say a lot.
Actually not, they are feared because of their size not because they have eaten anyone. This is based on local lore and overexaggeration by people. What would be more frightening, a school of 10 inch P. nattereri? or a school of 20 inch P. piraya?

·
Registered
9 Posts
just to address the "dangerous to man" quote...
the only reason caribe,reds and piraya, (although they are very dangerous indeed) are ther only ones listed as a danger to man, is because they are the ones most often seen in shoals in the wild. the rhoms grow to huge sizes and can take your foot off if they decide to...but a shoal of hungry caribe-together they can dismantle you in minutes the rhom exists as a solitary menace..and doesnt blindly attack anything that moves in the water. a shoal will do just that.
in ccaptivity,however, the playing field is more level. you cant have gigantic shoals of caribe,etc. in a normal tank.
even a 125g tank is miniscule when compared to real habitats. In this finite,controlled environment, the rhom is more accustomed to being solitary and tends not to tolerate others. of course, a shoal of caribe, say 5 or 6 of them, can take out a rhom if it so desires.!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts