Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a P can stay out of water??? im seeing all these pics of people taking out their P's to measure them, how is that good for the fish??? ...is it ok?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a P can stay out of water??? im seeing all these pics of people taking out their P's to measure them, how is that good for the fish??? ...is it ok?
It's highly not recommended to use that method-Nothing good comes of it-
[/quote]

well it seems like a accurate way of measuring, thats about all

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Taking your p's out of water to get a measurement is a bad idea. The easiest way is to get a measurement when he is up near the glass. Or, place several quarters on the rim on the tank. Each quarter is 1" in length. When the piranha swims by you can get a good idea about what size he is. I use that technique to get an estimate size of my p's. Plus, it is way less stressful than taking the p out of the tank.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Is THAT even worth it? I mean, if it's a young P, it's going to grow MORE, so is it REALLY that important to be accurate? MAYBE if you're trying to sell it and someone needs to be certain of the size, but otherwise, it makes zero sense to me.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is THAT even worth it? I mean, if it's a young P, it's going to grow MORE, so is it REALLY that important to be accurate? MAYBE if you're trying to sell it and someone needs to be certain of the size, but otherwise, it makes zero sense to me.
[/quote]

oh im not saying im going to or i will i just wanted to know how bad of an idea is it? im seeing more and more people doing that to measure their fish. i just wanted to know if its normal and if a lot of people actually use that method...looks like its a huge NO

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Yeah, I would have to agree that taking your p out of the water for a measure is a bad idea. It is not worth the risk in doing so.

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
It's highly not recommended to use that method-Nothing good comes of it-
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah but it's not worth the added stress to the fish-But do what you see fit!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
from what im told...p's have a "slime coat" on they're body for a bit of protection (im not too sure correct me tho anyone) and when you handle your fish it takes alot of it off...technically not being good for your fish

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
Net method is the best IMO. You take a picture of the fish in the net pressed against the glass, then count the pixels in the pic to get an exact length. Something like that. Dawgz is good at that. PM him.

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
from what im told...p's have a "slime coat" on they're body for a bit of protection (im not too sure correct me tho anyone) and when you handle your fish it takes alot of it off...technically not being good for your fish
Correct indeed-Adding a chance of infection in there as well-

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Net method is the best IMO. You take a picture of the fish in the net pressed against the glass, then count the pixels in the pic to get an exact length. Something like that. Dawgz is good at that. PM him.
^ deff sounds like the most exact easy and best way to measure. thanks for all the info guys

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
^ deff sounds like the most exact easy and best way to measure. thanks for all the info guys
[/quote]

i never thought of that...would be neat to know tho..maybe ill pm dawgz too

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
thanks for the link AK....that should help me and others out w/o stressing out the fish much
Thank winkyee not me- At least you guys are trying to do the right methods-Congrats on a job well done guys!!!!!!!! Never be afraid or scared to ask the ?'s that you feel are needed-thats what we are here for!!!

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
thanks for the link AK....that should help me and others out w/o stressing out the fish much
Thank winkyee not me- At least you guys are trying to do the right methods-Congrats on a job well done guys!!!!!!!! Never be afraid or scared to ask the ?'s that you feel are needed-thats what we are here for!!!
[/quote]

thanks winkyee for the post....thanks AK for the link.....thanks for the advice you guys have been giving....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts