Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
10,481 Posts
The genus Pygocentrus is characterized by several anatomical features

Key To The Species of Pygocentrus

1a. Adipose fin in large individuals with rays. Branched dorsal-fin rays 15-18, usually 16;6-8, usually 7 neural spines anterior to first dorsal-fin pterygiophore; vertebrae 36-39, usually 38................................................P. piraya.

1b. Adipose fin without rays. Branched dorsal-fin rays 14-18, usually 15; 5-7, usually 6 neural spines anterior to the first ptrygiophore; vertebrae 35-38, usually 36................2

2a. Large dark humeral spot in specimens over 100 mm SL; few body spots above that size; 4-5, usually 4 supraneurals.................P. cariba.

2b. Humeral spot relatively small or lacking at all sizes; body spots may be numerous; 4-5, usually 5 supraneurals........................P. nattereri.

Eye color has little value since some P. nattereri have "clear" eyes.

· Registered
146 Posts
Coolguy said:
oh yea. and somethign to add to that. where is the humeral spot located
[snapback]824188[/snapback]​

It's located right behind the gill plate along the lateral line, you will notice it right off the bat. I also believe that the caribe has larger teeth than the nats.

· Registered
595 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
rbs's have red tinted eyes, caribes have black eyes....caribes are thicker than reds.....caribes have a bigger jaw structures (bulldog face)....caribes have the black humeral spot behind their gill plate (check out my avatar)

IMO caribes are the most bad ass pygo.

· Registered
10,481 Posts
a_plus1234 Posted Today, 12:58 PM
rbs's have red tinted eyes, caribes have black eyes....caribes are thicker than reds.....caribes have a bigger jaw structures (bulldog face)....caribes have the black humeral spot behind their gill plate (check out my avatar)

IMO caribes are the most bad ass pygo.
Unfortunately, that information is to broad and general and not exactly accurate.

Its unfortunate because if were it that simple then Iding fishes would be easier. Jaw structure has little to nothing to do with fish ID as it is an individual trait. Same goes with "thickness" not value there either. Black humeral spot is of no value as P. nattereri have them too and some cariba do not. As I stated above the "eye color" is of no real value either because you have some P. nattereri (Rio Araquaia for example) that have clear eyes, just like P. cariba. Locality data is the more accurate and of course if you take a numerical value of each trait that helps ID fishes so long as everything else is equal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.