Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"-When someone hears the word "Piranha" this is the fish that comes to mind. This piranha is probably 2nd to Goldfish for most abused aquarium fish in the world. People are often attracted to this Piranha soley because of their legendary feeding habits, which is unfortunate, because most of those people don't even know how to properly care for them, or even tropical fish in general"

i found in in the fact sheets. what do they mean people don tknow how to prperly take care of them or tropical fish in general?

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
What it means is that poeple think all they need is water a tank,heater and food for the fish and everything is all good. What most people dont know is about the PH the fish does best in. What food help grow, enhance color. What kind of lighting is needed for the fish and plants. What fish to mix togethter and what not to mix. what is salt used for and how much to put in. What kind of medication you need in case this happens or that happends. You know..... all those other detailed knowledge you need to know.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
well that does make sense, but i had a feeling when reading that, that those 'people' are some of us. now im not saying we abuse our pets, im saying that maybe P's aren't supposed to be kept in a tank...

i mean a piranha can fit in a 90 gallon, but is he really happy? even if he has 4 friends, are they really happy? do they really have everything that they want? in the wild these guys can swim in whichever direction as long as they want, and it'll be a while before something stops them, not like a piece of clear glass.

im trying to say no they are not crampt, but no they are not free. this reminds me of those topics, like the one Xenon posted a few days ago about going to the shark aquarium or something, and seeing big meaty P's. well maybe they get so large/happy because they have freedom or a really good simulator of it (Large area).
most tanks aren't this big.

...i mean these P's could have been there a while or could have been caught that big/nice. but still, are they really happy?

???

i think next time, im going to get very small fish, so they have a 'world' to swim in, not just a room.

***this is not a hack on anyone about their piranha keeping.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Can fish really even feel "happy"? I know if I were a fish, I probably wouldn't be happy unless I swam in a river of beer! Even then it would suck. Too many predators. I enjoy being at the top of the food chain. Maybe you are making your fish happy by getting them out of those rivers.

·
Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
18,670 Posts
when someone can comunicate with piranha's we'll know then for now
just assume they are happy

easy food safe place and lots of love

·
Registered
951 Posts
I wouldn't be too happy if my ass was 12" and I was stuck in 55 gallons or something for life. It'd be way too boring. Poor fish, atleast they get fed well, alteast at my house.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Maybe the choice of words wasn't the best one ("most of those people"), because sites like PFury and other predatory fish boards are doing a great job educating people on how to properly care for piranha's.
But there are enough people out there that buy piranha's because of their reputation, but don't do the necessary research before purchasing their fish: wrong diet, too small a tank, inadequate equipment etc...
It doesn't mean those people do that on purpose, don't care about the well-being of their pets, etc., but a bit of research could prevent a lot of unnecessary frustration on the fish keepers side, and more importantly, a lot of suffering on the fish's side...

The remark quoted in the initial post isn't directed at anyone in specific, group of people, or even board members: it's just an observation of something that is avoidable, but continues to happen, unfortunately...

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I say it does'nt make a diff if you get em from te lfs, they would already be going to a tank or staying there the rest of there lives, unless some dumb people dump em in lakes and junk, but thats just wrong.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
EMJAY said:
now im not saying we abuse our pets, im saying that maybe P's aren't supposed to be kept in a tank...

i mean a piranha can fit in a 90 gallon, but is he really happy? even if he has 4 friends, are they really happy? do they really have everything that they want? in the wild these guys can swim in whichever direction as long as they want, and it'll be a while before something stops them, not like a piece of clear glass.

im trying to say no they are not crampt, but no they are not free. this reminds me of those topics
emjay.
really you could probably say this about keeping any fish tropical or saltwater.
it does not matter what size tank or what size fish you put in it from the hobby point of view.
any fish you put in a tank will not have the freedom to roam out of their glass cage.

the point to the original quote really means that people get p's because of the reputation and some dont even know how to care for fish at all never mind a predatory piranha thus making them an abused hobbyist fish like the goldfish.
the main reason people come to these boards is for info on how to look after their piranha and we will be a really small percentage of piranha keepers throughout the world who have access to the info we have by coming to the likes of pfury.
i myself bought a tank which had 4 reds and did very little research on piranha but did have fish keeping knowledge i found pfish and gained a lot of knowledge from that site.
one of the main reasons i come here is to share the knowledge i have with other people and pick up even more info for myself to help look after the piranha i keep.
i like coming here as a lot of people on this board know a lot about piranha and have a lot to offer but a lot of people on this board dont and thats where people like myself and others can share for the good of the hobby.
i still visit other boards but mainly post here as i feel comfortable doing so, but my main point on this subject is a lot of people get piranha and are then quickly dissapointed and those are the people piranha keeping CAN do without.
sorry for going on i do feel strongly about this one and this emjay has been your best post so far (and probably my longest) hahahaha.
dixon

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i just felt bad about not lettign them have their freedom. i just feel strong about this.

anyways i just had strong feeling about this, and wanted to share with people. one days i'll have a huge tank, i mean like a pool size with just a few P's in there, maybe 10-15, maybe even 20 but in a HUGE tank. then i'll see how they act. but until then, i'll never be caught cramping a tank. never.

stupid LFS's...

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
EMJAY said:
i just felt bad about not lettign them have their freedom. i just feel strong about this.

anyways i just had strong feeling about this, and wanted to share with people. one days i'll have a huge tank, i mean like a pool size with just a few P's in there, maybe 10-15, maybe even 20 but in a HUGE tank. then i'll see how they act. but until then, i'll never be caught cramping a tank. never.

stupid LFS's...
nice one
dixon

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
You know what? They are talking about people on this site.
I see a lot of people posting how they have 5 reds in a 20 until they grow bigger and then they will get a larger tank......which they never do.
There are probably 1% of the piranha owners on this site, another 19% that actually care for there fish...and the other 80% know nothing about fish keeping and keep reds in a horible enviorment.
The statement that was posted is all too accurate.

·
Registered
344 Posts
i was thinking about adding another Piraya in to my 55 with the 3 nats, now im thinking otherwise would that make me one of those people.

Seriously, ive been keeping fish for 6 years now. Got my first P's a month ago.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i was thinking about adding another Piraya in to my 55 with the 3 nats, now im thinking otherwise would that make me one of those people.
at least im making a difference with this post

·
Registered
65 Posts
I know that my fish aren't "free" but i look at it this way...They have good lighting, i've tried my best to recreate the amazon blackwater where they came from, they always have a plentiful supply of food and oxygen, they get to kill feeders and play fight with each other all the time. Plus they never have to worry about any types of predators and a very limited number of parasites and diseases. Now to me this set up does not seem too bad for a fish and by the looks of it my fish are very happy. I know I would be. I enjoy having my piranha's and feel no guilt because i know i take very good care of them. Just my .2 cents.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
The comment is not aimed toward responsible fish keepers, but those that see piranhas in the store and buy a 10 gallon and 3 reds without knowing anything about them. This happens more often to piranhas because of the reputation of the fish....that is just a fact, and also the reason there is such a need for this website to help new owners be responsible for the fish they own.

·
what up NINJA
4,581 Posts
I got my first aquarium just over a year ago. I wanted to buy either piranhas or oscars. I had no Idea at that time, a year later, I'd have 6 full fish tanks all between 2 and 20 times larger than my first tank w/ 20 some fish.

I first read that qoute when I joined this site and thought to myself that I was in way over my head w/ piranhas. I realized that I was in for a big commitment taking care of and keeping piranha. All in all that quote meant a lot to me because it told me I wasnt' ready. And I truly wasn't. That may sound lame, but I'll be the first to admit I've failed. Now, I am a full fledged piranha enthusiast and have had great success w/ my fish knowing that I had to research and learn more.

·
Registered
65 Posts
A friend of mine actually got me interested in P's. He had 4 RB's and I thought they were cool as hell. I researched my ass off for about a month. Now my P's are much healthier than his and he is always coming to me asking for advice. In a couple of weeks i am taking his P's from him and he is going with a lower maintenance fish ....nOObies

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
traumatic said:
I first read that qoute when I joined this site and thought to myself that I was in way over my head w/ piranhas. I realized that I was in for a big commitment taking care of and keeping piranha. All in all that quote meant a lot to me because it told me I wasnt' ready. And I truly wasn't. That may sound lame, but I'll be the first to admit I've failed. Now, I am a full fledged piranha enthusiast and have had great success w/ my fish knowing that I had to research and learn more.
Wise words, Traumatic

I think most of us didn't really have a clue when they bought their first p's (me included), apart from the fact they purchased a bunch of dangerous "man-eaters"... Most of us made a lot of mistakes in the beginning, often at the expense of fish. But that's part of keeping fish (actually, keeping pets in general): learn from your mistakes, be prepared to learn from others, and enjoy!
That's the main focus and achievement of sites like PFury, predfish and some others are making the learning part much more effective, fast, and very important, more fun.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts