Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Although very rare, hobbyist have kept RBP of 12 inches in the home aquarium. In a larger public aqurium they might have the potential to reach 13 inches.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
well they most likely will never see that size. 12 inch RBPs are almost myths in the home aqurium and are to large to be a worthwhile import at that size. I have seen pictures of one but no one would even believe it till after the pictures, and yes that piranha was a freak, close to 13 years old.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Piranhas can live a very long time as long as you care for them appropriately. On Frank's site I saw a listing for a piranha in 1971 that died only a few years ago.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Also, if you cant wait for a 12" RB.. you can always buy a 12" Rhom!!! 12" Rhoms are easy to come by.. 12" RBs are rare.. but imagine a shoal of 12" RBs..

WHOO HOO!!!!

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
to get a red to that size is probably a measure of good luck as well as good management .the largest reds i have had (measured out of the tank) were 8'' and 7 1/2'' and took 1 1/2 years to get that big this was also nose to end of tail so really in scientific size about 7'' and 6 1/2 '' i have heard of 12'' reds (no proof) and seen 1 pic of a red which full length was 11''-12'' and i think it was on pfish neo may prove me wrong on that but it was quite a while ago
dixon

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Ternetzi is found in the far south of South America as far as Argentina. Ternetzi's max size is of question, but it is believed to be around 18 inches. Ternetzi is currently considered by science to be the same species as Nattereri.
Still waiting for your proof of this statement from your web site.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Sir Nathan XXI said:
Frank told me 14" is the max I believe, but I would like to see proof of it, I think 12" is a more reasonable number
I trust Franks decades of experience and desire to give us accurate information.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Posted on Mar 19 2003, 04:09 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ternetzi is found in the far south of South America as far as Argentina. Ternetzi's max size is of question, but it is believed to be around 18 inches. Ternetzi is currently considered by science to be the same species as Nattereri.

Still waiting for your proof of this statement from your web site.
So which is it Nate? If they are growing at 18 inches and science says they are the same species then YOU ARE SAYING they are grow to 18 inches, or in your words it is believed by whom?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Sir Nathan XXI said:
key word is believed, Franks proof he have me is Dr.Fink says so, I want a pic with a ruler, I have asked for this for a long time now, and havent seen anything
Lol, and now the word of a respected scientist isn't good enough.

I have seen pictures of 11"-12" nattereri. I have never seen one larger than that, nor have I seen a ternetzi larger than any nattereri (contrary to some "reports").

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.