Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the best way to get my piranha to be less skittish, they are all over 1 year old and are in a 77gal tank !! info plz and thx!!
I also have a good amount of plants in my tank , I know if i were to take the plants out that they would get used to not hiding , but the tank just looks so ugly with no plants , any other ideas???

·
The ASSMAN
20,570 Posts
I would suggest lowering the light but depending on the plants they may all suffer as well. You could also try raising the temp a little to rile them up a bit.

·
Registered
105 Posts
SOmetimes just being in front of the tank for a while will make them less skittish. They learn after a while that you aren't going to hurt them.

·
Captain Britannia
4,819 Posts
i agree with both those answers above spending more time with them will probably make them less skittish and lower light is good if possible .they will allways show skittishness but you can lessen it to a degree in my opinion

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Hey Nick more time in front of the tank and add some more dithers to the tank too ... preferably ones that swim within areas of the P's and ones that they do not have an aquired taste for ...
... so mabe add some more Black Widow tetras ... is that one you have still alive?

·
Bean Power!
8,912 Posts
To a certain degree they will become conditioned to activity outside their tank but, for the most part you have to accept them for what they are. It's just the way it is.

·
Registered
259 Posts
there is no best way luke. you must use the force

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,146 Posts
piranha13 said:
SOmetimes just being in front of the tank for a while will make them less skittish. They learn after a while that you aren't going to hurt them.
thats what worked for me .when i got my p they were scary,run and hide everytime i passby the aquarium.i really got fustrated cause they always hid.but after a month now they seem to have gotten use to it.i walk up to the tank and they run to the front waiting to be feed.it just takes time for them to adjust to there new surroundings

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I've always had my tank in a high traffic area, so my reds quickly got adjusted to human presence/movement nearby. Nowadays, they always hang out in front of the tank, even when I have many guests. They even demolish feeders when I have people over (they love it, the guests and the p's).
But they keep scattering at times when I turn on or off the tank lights or when I put my hands in the tank. I guess that'll be always the case...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts