Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best size to buy piranha? I want to get 3 rbp's but I don't know what size I want to get them at. I'm thinking like 2.5" or 3". I'm sooooooooooooooo excited right now because my basement is almost finished so my brother will be moving down very soon. That means I can get my tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At last the day is almost here. It's gonna be soooooooooo much fun to set up the tank. I'm gonna get a bunch of amezon swords, Driftwood and rocks(fake because I've heard that they can raise the PH.)
So I've heard that you should put tape on one side of the light so that they have shade. I was thinking that instead of that I can put floating plants in the tank for some shade. Would that be okay. Also I want to pick out a background for the tank that brings out their colours. What colour should that be? I was thinking I'd go with a black background and natural looking stones for the bottom. Will that look awsome or what!
I'm just soo excited right now so that's why I'm writing this. You all probably know what I'm going through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Piranhas Rule

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I would go with a couple baby reds, i like watching them grow and a shoal of baby reds is pretty sweet.Black backround and black gravel looks bad ass, thats what i have, it makes the reds color darker too....Good luck man

·
OPEFE
10,250 Posts
I like to see them grow so i buy them when still babys!

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
I like babys, watching them grow and mature.

Anxiously awaiting PIRANHA KINGS "I like em big" comment!

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
PIRANHA KING said:
lol you know it xenon, i like HUGE piranhas. but if you are going to get reds at 3" its a waste because they grow pretty fast when little. i'd get some dime sized reds and watch them grow.
wes
what is the most money you have spent on a monser?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Go with baby red 1"-2" they grow pretty rapidly. When you start seeing them grow to a large size it gives u a feeling of accomplishment. You actually feel like the're your kids but without having to shell out thousands in college tuition.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies I'm gonna get a dime sized one after all. I agree to that it will be half the fun to watch them grow. The local Big Al's sells red bellies at dime sized or like 5-6". so I'll go with the dime sized. Thanks.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,504 Posts
mAN.. i didnt even get to put in my 2 cents before he decided.

Well.. best of luck and Congrats on your decision!!!

·
Captain Britannia
4,819 Posts
you made the right choice go small really small i think most of the fun is watching them grow
dixon

·
Registered
362 Posts
hey man u shop big als too sweet i would go with a couple of
floating plants that would be sick also a dark backround like
u said itl look awsome

·
Registered
527 Posts
Smaller=cheaper=better.

Just remember to try and avoid put small fish in with big, they might end up on the menu!

Also, as advised to me, if one is smaller than the rest, just keep an eye on it to make sure its getting a fair amount of food, no serious fighting, etc.

Incidentially, i have 3 baby RBP's myself and they grow at a staggering rate .

·
Registered
257 Posts
Lastyboy is right. It's usually alot cheaper to buy them when they are babies. Plus they will know each other and you that much better. Where I live, as soon as they reach 3 inches, the price goes up to like $25. I am known the be somewhat tight with my cash sometimes. I like $7 a fish. Like everyone here, I LOVE watching them grow up. To me it's like getting a puppy or something.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah! BiG Als! I wentthere last night and they had like 5 new adult red belly's and like 40 new baby red belly's. Now they have a huge tank with like 10 rbp's, another huge tank with like 25 gold spilos, and 2 tanks with a ton of baby rbp's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts