Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
121 Posts
I am currently very limited in tank size-10 gallons but in three months i can upgrade significantly, due to larger housing. I am new to Piranhas and was wondering what was everyones opinion on what breed I whould get and what is availible in the Michigan Area. I also would liek to know if i should use live plants or plastic and what to feed a new baby.

O yeah and the relevance to this forum, whats the Ph and Water Chem supposed to be I have currently some chichlids. I have access to a lab so there isn't anything I can't put into the tank....

Thanks!

· Registered
10,778 Posts
hello! Welcome! Members here keep Piranhas in ph range from 7 all the way to 8 and seem to be ok. Water chem should be the normal, ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and low nitrate. How big baby Ps are we talking? like 1"? I would just house 3 for now, and upgrade ASAP. Just get an ACMINI for that tank, and a heater. Live plants are good to remove nitrates. Baby Ps can eat shrimp, flakes, and small bits of beefheart.

· Registered
639 Posts
First off, welcome to P-fury...

:welcome:

Secondly, this is my personal opinion, but by all means do as you please. If you're planning on moving and upgrading your tank in just a short time, if I were you, I'd simply wait to get your fish until after the move/upgrade.

That way you start off with a tank of your preference, and you can get a fish that can (hopefully) be housed in that tank for it's entire life. It'd be a shame for you to get a tank, have your fish in that tank for a year or so, and then have to upgrade because you weren't aware of how much space the particular fish you decided on would need.

In the meantime while waiting, research and learn, spend hours reading and learning about Piranhas here on P-fury. There are several different Piranhas to choose from, and while you're reading and learning, you may discover one particular fish that you'd like to own more-so than any other fish. If that's the case, you can figure out what all you'll need for that particular Piranha, including what size tank (which would help you in deciding which tank you'll eventually upgrade to).

A 10g tank is small for any Piranha, and an upgrade will be essential in a short amount of time.

Like I said, I'd stick around here, post, read, learn, and prepare. Once it's time to get your tank, you'll have a much better understanding of what you're getting into.

For what it's worth, that's my advice to you, I think you'll be happier that way in the long run.

Once again, welcome to the site, look forward to seeing you around!

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I knwo its small for a Piranha But at the moment I am in a dormatory and over the summer I and next year I will have my own huge room in a fraternity so I'm not concerned (one of the brothers has a 90 gallon with room to spare). I read up and heard that a 10-gal would last a few mos with baby P's I was only thinking of getting one to start off. I do like the Rhoms more but i don't think starting with a more aggressive fish may be the best option. The local pet supply had baby (1-1/2) red bellies for 8 bucks and i was thinking of starting out on them. Right now i have a few chichlids to condition the water. Do you think it's wise for a beginner to jump into rhoms?

· ~ATLANTA BRAVES~
15,116 Posts
Filo said:
I heard rhoms grow a LOT slower. So this might be better. But if you mess up, there goes an expensive fish. RBP are cheap--rhom are not.
[snapback]872875[/snapback]​
Actually small rhoms arent very expensive usually. You can often find 3" for about $25

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.